Synscan GOTO

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of iphone/tech this is what I use.

Iphone compass for the Lat/Long

Internet browser with this website

Skyview app for alignment star reference (point the phone in the sky and if you point it at a star it tells you what it is)

I use the AZ GOTO, and it can be tricky to begin with. Here are a few things I have noticed so far.

-Make sure all of your info is correct

-Set your timezone to 00:00 and select daylight savings

-Try and go for stars that are far away from each other

-Be incredibly careful with it. I find the slightest movement apart from focusing and viewing through the eyepiece can knock it out by a few degrees.

-Make sure your battery's are working at 100%. I use a power cable now instead of the battery pack supplied with the mount, because I found that once the battery had lost a bit of power it sounded slower and didn't really want to point in the right direction, so you could do everything right and still not get what you want.

Not sure which your model is but I use the following procedure.

Level your scope as best you can. I have attached 2 99p levels at right angles on my SW Dob.

Set your time accurately. i have an Aldi radio controlled clock.

Set Lat and Long accurately. I use this site

Lat - Long Finder: This page helps you find Latitude and Longitude

I tend to point mine North and set my angle of scope to 0 degrees.

I use 2 star align using SW 32mm Panaview to centre roughly and then 10mm Hyperion to be more precise.

I think you have to accept that the object you are going to find is not going to be smack in the centre of your eyepiece. When searching for an object I always use the 32mm Panaview and it almost always is in the eyepiece somewhere. I then centre the object in the Panaview and transfer to 10mm eyepiece or whatever after that.

It always help if you know roughly what you are looking for. I can now pick out galaxies almost instantly but could not do that when I had just started off. It takes practice and there is no substitute for being out there and doing it.

Hope this helps. ;)

Simon

hi there, my sympathies, i had one of these and had the same problem! would not go to, tried date long lat home park position, etc, i was out side in winter -4 spent more time fiddling with it than viewing. got rid and bought a dob!! put me right off sync scan.

Archived