Star pointer !!

Hi all.

Had a fantastic couple of nights stargazing at my caravan over the weekend.

However being a novice I decided to try and target certain objects with my Celestron astro master "star pointer". I know that this scope is conssidered to be reasonably budget in the grand scheme of things, but seriously the "star pointer" doesn't seem up to much.

It made what should of been a fantastic couple of sessions rather frustrating.

I am thinking about buying a Telrad. Is this a good idea, if so where is cheapest to get one, as I ( like a lot of us ) am skint at the moment.

Thanks for any advice.

Ive seen the astro master in action and have to admit I wasnt impressed. Seemed just too dim and difficult to line up. The Telrad will be a massive improvement. Worth doing your homework on it to learn what is possible with it. You can find telrad charts online that will show you how to find things (not always spot on but good enough to put an object in your fov)

Best price I have found is here

Telrad Reflex Finder | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

Not much more expensive than the star pointer

Whats going on with the double threads??

Hi BrightestBlue,

Which scope and EPs do you have ?

I have read many times on here that the star pointer on my, and others Astromaster 130EQ is not upto much, however I don't find it unuseable.

This is generally how my sessions go.

From a bit of prior-homework, using starcharts/Stellarium I usually know where in the sky to look for my targets. If there is no bright star as a staring point I use 8x50 binoculars to work out where to point the scope. I then use the star pointer (I don't bother with the red dot) to point roughly in the right direction. Now with my 32mm EP I would say that most of the time my target is in the field of view, certainly some minor pushing and pulling of the scope brings it into view.

I then switch to higher-powered EPs.

I should say it did take a little while to get the star pointer centered in the first instance. I used the full moon for that as it gave more than enough light to see the circles you have to line up.

Hope this helps

dag123

The Telrad is great as is the Rigel Quickfinder which is a little smaller. The key thing is the red light's brightness on both can be adjusted to suit the target. However in the longer term, a right angled finder and one of the above will make the perfect 'finder' combination. The red illuminated finders will get you very close but of course you will need a little magnification to enhance what you can't see visually in order to 'nail' the target. Right angled makes your life a lot easier than the straight view variety but are a little more expensive.

Clear skies and keep up with the hunting!

James

Food for thought: Green laser pointer. I've always had that and can't think of going back one second: precise, efficient and cheap. Perhaps I'm missing something (other than not being able to use it a star parties)?

Cheers!

Archived