Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy and a couple more

We are camping for the next two weeks and tonite is a beautiful clear sky, the milky way is amazing. My first objective was to find the Andromeda Galaxy. With no moon, no lights, the sight was much better than I had a week or so ago. It is still fuzzy, but not a blob. I am quite impressed. I watched it for some time, trying the averted vision, and I believe it made a difference. I figured I was on a roll so I tried a few more and found M81 and M82. They are small in my scope but I was thrilled that I found them and impressed that what I was seeing did hold true to the shapes I was expecting after looking them up on Stellarium. Pretty cool.

All in all a very satisfying evening of searching. Thanks again to everyone who commented on my Andromeda post a week or so ago, lots of good advice.

I love the night sky.

I guess that it is damn dark out in Saskatchewan away from towns. Glad you found Andromda, needs a dark sky for it to stand out.

If really dark then you will have too many things that you can see with just your eyes.

Great success story Angelika - glad you found M31, and M81/82 are small in most scopes but you've got some nice gear there to make them crisp and clear enough to pick out a little detail - wait till you see them under dark clear skies of autumn/winter.

Nice report :)

Archived