Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

new eyepiece advise for f/8 sw 150p dob

tyler_jrb

just came to quickly ask all of you on sgl on some advise on buying new eyepieces for my skywatcher dobsonian 150p. I have been looking at a lot and have decided on getting something from 35 pounds or cheaper. the ep's ive been looking at are things like the celestron omni series eyepieces id say either the 9mm or 12.5mm. I also have been looking at the skywatcher sp's specificaly again around the 10-12.5mm mark. The celestron omni series 9-12.5mm are 35 pounds where as the skywatcher is only 20. Wondering if anyone has them or has used either of them and how good they are in a f/8 scope as i only have a ok 25mm eyepiece and a bad 10mm which came with the scope. would be nice to use the scope properly as the 10mm gives views like a focused star but with scattered light around the star for some reason. Also need to ask on any other eyepieces around the same price that any of you have used and would work well in my scope and I also need advise on the size of the mm of the eyepiece for magnification etc as it has a max of 304x but in the uk around 200-250x max. must also point out found this eyepiece skywatcher ultrawide 9mm, any good?

Any advise needed thankyou :).

Well, FLO have these on offer, the 8mm would go nicely with the 25mm youve got.

First Light Optics - Celestron X-Cel ED eyepiece

You're right about the supplied eyepieces, the 25's ok, but the 10's useless. You could always watch ebay for Meade 4000 or even a couple of 5000's I've noticed today.

RVO have a 9.4mm Meade 4000 new for £29.99:

Meade 4000 Series 9.7mm Super Plossl EP 1.25 | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

Another one to possibly consider is the 28mm 2" Skywatcher at £40, just to throw a spanner in the works! The 2" does make alot of difference when it comes to light gathering in my experience (200P and 80ED):

28MM SkyWatcher | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

A few options anyway. personally I started out with Meade 4000's and a few Antares eyepieces (which were lovely, the 5mm esp.) Hope this helps.

hey phoenix thanks for the advise have been looking at the omni 9mm and the x-cel 8mm but im just thinking wont it be a stretch too far especially when i may want to use a barlow and also is 150x good for planet views, looks good but like you say will keep my eye out for some s/h eyepieces on ebay which i may get a bargain :).

I will most likely go for that eyepiece if it stays at 45 pounds which mm do you think i should go for for planetry views 150x(8mm)or 240x(5mm). I will also most likely go for a cheshire collimator or x2 omni barlow, most likely the cheshire.

hey phoenix with the meade 4000 are they a good eyepieces and the 9.7mm will it be good for some dsos and planets at 123x but then with a barlow at 246x for planets or would this be asking too much.

Do you think im better off with the 12.4mm so i can get around 200x with barlow or better with the 9.7 at 246x with barlow? want it for planet use. hopefully go for the celestron on offer at flo but just a thought.

what do you also think to the celestron omni 9mm or 12mm for planetry

Archived