NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How do I make this shoe fit into this saddle?

swag72

I have just received a Dual bar to fit onto my HEQ5. The problem now is that my guidescope shoe is way too small for the saddle. What do I need to get to make the fit? Is there some adaptor out there?

I don't want to change the size permanently as the show fits perfectly on my moonlite when I use my scope. I was hoping to get away from having to use the scope for guiding when I want to do widefield.

As you can see the Vixen dovetail fits perfectly - not sure what to do now.

Any suggestions of what I need or where to get it?

post-18339-13387763653_thumb.jpg

post-18339-133877636537_thumb.jpg

post-18339-133877636545_thumb.jpg

When I want to use my DSLR a normal lens and take long exposures, I want to be able to guide at the same time. At the moment I have to use the telescope and piggy back the camera in order to get any guiding. I'd like to be able to have the guidescope on one saddle (in my case I use a 9x50 finderscope to guide with) and the camera on the other.

When I want to use my DSLR a normal lens and take long exposures, I want to be able to guide at the same time. At the moment I have to use the telescope and piggy back the camera in order to get any guiding. I'd like to be able to have the guidescope on one saddle (in my case I use a 9x50 finderscope to guide with) and the camera on the other.

I see, im not aware of any actual adaptors that are made specifically for this but a longer bolt should work

Failing that I wonder if this http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Dovetail_Base_For_Finder.html will fit into the vixen saddle? might be worth a try

I've solved something similar by drilling vertically through the foot of the finder bracket and bolting it onto something else. In your case the 'something else' would just be a length of Vixen dovetail rail, perhaps sawn off the one you have. You can still usually find a use for the trunkated main piece!

I might add a little Araldite to the joint between finder foot and rail to ensure it never moves. It will come off when you really want it to, though. The finder foot has a little flange which might have to sit just behind the end of the bit of dovetail. Or you could file it off.

Olly

The finder dovetail base won't fit, it's not much bigger than the finder itself, but it may be that you could combine Olly's suggestion with the finder base... attach the base to some dovetail... then you can move your finder guider...

Archived