Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1.25" or 2" Eyepiece?

Hi

I've bought a Skymax 150 on an EQ5 - which came with a 2" 28mm Ep with star diagonal. Since then I have bought some 1.25" basic Eps (Skywatcher) but have yet to use them - I've also bought a 1.25" star diagaonal and have the converter.

But, since I haven't been able to really use any of them just wanted to know what's better,.or what's going to be an obvious difference - 2" or 1.25" EP's?

I haven't outlayed too much cash but want to understand a bit more about Ep's

Any help? Thxs

Steve

A 2" ep is useful in longer focal lengths (lower magnification) as it lets in more light (subject to scope design).

For shorter focal lengths there is no advantage.

2" eyepieces weigh more, which can be an issue with scope balance, or poor focussers.

They are also generally more expensive than 1.25"

But with your long focal length scope, to get wide view, you need a long focal length eyepiece. The short tube length means balance is easier than say a newtonian. This means a 2" eyepeice in long focal length will be beneficial.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge of your scope construction will be along soon to tell you the 1.25 - 2" changeover point on your scope.

You'll not need the 1.25" Star Diagonal (can you get a refund?) since you can get an adaptor for the eyepiece side for a few pounds only and you don't want (nor is there a need) to be changing diagonals mid-session. The use of a 1.25" diagonal offers no benefit if you already have a 2" one.

The most important issue is whether there's a limit to the size of 2" eyepieces that work properly in the 150.

I know there's such a limit on the 180 - which is what I have.

Archived