Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

not as sharp as i expected..

hi.. i recently brought a skywatcher explorer 200 pds.. along with a cheshire collimation EP.. i dont have a T2NIKON adapter yet so when i wanna take pics with the scope.. i remove my DSLR's lens, remove all the adapters from the focusing assembly, hold the camera right up to it.. turn on live preview and use it to focus the scope.. then snap away..

it has given me pretty good results so far.. ive captured the moon and the sun (with solar filter).. but what hurts me is that the images are not sharp.. there is some blurring of the images.. while focusing, i zoom in the live preview and focus till the image gets as sharp as it can get..

is my scopes collimation to be blamed for this? i have collimated the scope once.. a few days back.. and i think its almost correct.. with the only issue being that the secondary is not EXACTLY in the center of the focuser.. the screw in the center of the secondary holder that slides the mirror up and down was very tight.. i tried to unscrew it but the spider vanes started creaking so i didnt proceed with that.. also the screws connected to the spider vanes that shift the secondary across the aperture of the OTA were tight and i didnt mess with them.. other than that.. the tilt of the secondary.. and the primary mirrors orientation are bang on..

what can i be missing..

hi.. and thanks for the prompt reply.. =)..

well.. i did rule that out after taking a couple of exposures.. the thing is i ordered the wrong NIKON adapter.. it fits the nikon but is loose in the focuser.. but at angles less than 40 degrees to the horizontal.. it does stay put.. so i let go off the camera.. use a timer (no shutter release cable) and snap.. the exposures for the moon are typically at 1/8 to 1/30s long..

so youre suggesting that the collimation is not to be blamed for it then.. right? ill try taking some more pics and post here so you and others can comment on the crispness.. =)

have you checked your collimation by doing a star test? you mention the secondary appears slightly off centre thats normal for faster scopes. if you check astrobaby's collimation guide http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro babys collimation guide.htm it shows how it should look. id suggest doing a star test and if that all looks good you can rule out collimation

In a nutshell you haven't a hope in hell of getting a sharp image by hand holding a camera to the scope! Not a chance. Trouble is, you are going to be comparing your results with setups using the right technology and on the moon that means fast frame camera fixed to the telescope and highly evolved (but free) stacking software like Registax. However, once you get your camera properly attached you will start to be able to see what you are doing.

Hand holding? No, really, not possible.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/

In a nutshell you haven't a hope in hell of getting a sharp image by hand holding a camera to the scope! Not a chance.

Nice simple answer from Olly and very accurate.

Would you consider hand holding a 1000mm lens on a camera?

Unless the exposure time is less then something like less then 1/2000 sec then the image will blur.

@nova.. oh yes i remember the secondary being offset part now.. thanks for reminding.. well i havent done a star test yet.. ill do one an report the results.. =)

@olly and ronin.. thanks for the tips guys.. i understand what youre trying to implicate here.. that the blurring may be simply cuz of my own self rather than the collimation or anything else.. =).. thanks.. =)

Archived