Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope for a newbie wanting imaging

Hi all, recently joined after deciding I want to get into astronomy and, in particular, astrophotography more.

I have a Canon 50D DSLR that I've used for star trails and attempted to have a go at some widefield but I've decided I'd prefer a scope so I can track.

I've looked on various retailers sites and I'm pretty confused about what I'd be best with.

Ideally I'd like to observe and image the moon, and image DSO like the Andromeda galaxy and a couple of other Messier objects, so from my understanding I'd need a scope with a good aperture (f/5?).

Can anyone give me any thoughts on which telescope would be ideal for piggybacking and primefocus for a DSLR?

At the minute I've looked at these but am really unsure ;

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P SynScan AZ GOTO

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SupaTrak AUTO

My budget would be around £250, stretching to £300 if it would really be worth it.

Edit: Forgot to mention: I would massively prefer if it could locate and track well so it would make the processing easier.

Thank you all in advance.

Adam.

Adam, that's really tricky... The scope, for deep sky, is actually less important than the mount. All three of those you have listed use AltAz tracking, and that means you are limited to between 30 seconds, north/south and overhead, to maybe 1 to 2 minutes, low in the east or west, and that's really frustrating. You can... get the Andromeda galaxy imaged in this way, but it's a right pain to do.

I've also read that focusing an SLR with the actual scopes listed is really tricky, if not impossible.

I would strongly recommend, that your first purchase should be First Light Optics - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards.

Then check around and see if you can find an older HEQ5 type mount. Something like an HEQ5 Syntrek is ideal, as you can make it fully goto quite easily, but is probably more expensive. Then in the first place mount you camera directly to that, and use your current lenses.

An ST80 f/5 refractor will work well for deep sky, but... there's is purple fringing (from the chromatic aberations of the lens), and it can be dealt with using filters, at the cost of blue colours. The better scope option is the ED80, superb optics at a very reasonable (for this ballgame) price, aim for a second hand one.

Now... for the moon... you can observe and image the moon in short focal length, small aperture refractors (I have done and do), but it's not ideal, and there you're looking at another whole setup of scopes and cameras. The 80ED with an SLR will produce good results for single shots though.

Thanks John, I'll look into getting that book soon, thanks.

I've just had a quick Google and in all honesty I don't fancy having to add GoTo to a HEQ5, and would prefer a scope already mounted.

Sorry to be a pain, but do you mean a SkyWatcher ED80? I'll have a look for a second hand one.

Thank you.

Adam

Adam, you're welcome... The HEQ5 Syntrek has everything needed for goto, just not the hand controller. I have given mine goto with the use of an old laptop... works a treat.

As for the ED80, there's the Skywatcher version, which has a better focuser, or the Celestron one (which I have). They use the same optics, just different tube and mechanicals. Either can produce great results...

Again, thank you John.

Looks like I'll have to wait a while whilst I save up and try and find a good one second hand. Just a quick question to possibly tide me over till I could get a HEQ5, would a cheaper mount (/scope) be satisfactory for piggybacking for wide field star clusters, constellations and the milkyway if I take lots of (smaller) exposures and stack them in in post processing?

Thanks

Adam

I think John gave good advice. You have to be realistic and an equatorial mount is essential. On that you have no choice. You can make a start with an EQ3 but you would be better off with an HEQ5. There is no way to make deep sky imaging inexpensive and first comes the mount.

Olly

Or...The cheapest way to do Deep Sky Imaging is to buy the right equipment first time.

As above the HEQ5 is about the minimum mount - Again as above "Every Photon Counts" is a must read before you buy - it will save you £££££!!!!!

Adam, I only started getting practically interested in astronomy earlier this year.

I researched 'scopes & could not work out what type (basic design) was best for me - let alone which brand/model/size/cost. So I gave up! I was not ready to make an informed purchase - I did not know if I wanted to photo planets, nebulae, galaxys, etc etc......& a suitable scope for one, might one be so suitable for the others.

I knew I wanted to try astro imaging, as I came into the interest with a photo background, & I had Canon cameras & lenses & converters etc already, but my non-motorised photography tripods really limited what I could do.

So I decided to read up on motorised astro mounts suitable for astro photography. I quickly go the options down to 3 - Astrotrax, skywatcher HEQ5 pro, Skywatcher EQ6 pro (now nEQ6 Pro).

As I felt that at some point I'd buy a telescope, I wanted a mount to suit that in the future, so the Astrotrac dropped out of the running. Initially I favoured the cheaper HEQ5, BUT not knowing what scope I may end up with, I decided to play it safe & go for the greater payload capacity of the EQ6.

I started using my EQ6 in March 2011 - my first ever equatorial or astro mount of any description. I mounted my camera & longest lens (plus converter) on the EQ6. The first few outings were spent trouble shooting & I did not get any images at all - just getting the mount to do its thing was challenge enough!

But slowly I ironed out the issues, & started to get results, then each time I went out, I'd add the next layer of complexity. I introduced EQMOD & laptop control inplace of the handset. Got that working over a couple of sessions, then added autoguiding & took a couple of session to sort that out.

I'm now getting 'comfortable' with the basics - & getting some (ok-ish) results in with JUST my camera & camera lenses.

I'll probably be adding a proper 'scope soon, but taking the camera only route to start with gives a more gentle introduction I think, & spreads the costs over a time period, which gives you the option to buy better stuff to start with, spending available funds on one element at a time, rather than spreading it over mount, scope, accessories etc etc.

This approach also gave me some expsoures to start learning the stacking & post processing tricks that is a huge part of the end result.

I can only advise you to think long & hard about trying to get into imaging with something less than a decent mount......even if it means having to delay your start inorder to save up for it.

I would suggest that you go for one of the Skywatcher mounts mentions WITHOUT the handset - & save yourself £100 or so - I have not used mine since moving to laptop control - I just find controlling the mount via EQMOD from planetarium software running on the laptop is a much easier/faster/friendlier option.......especially when you are a beginner to the night sky & don't know your way around the sky too well or know many star names or how to find them.......have you ever tried a 3 star alignment when you don't know any of the star names that are in the Skywatcher handset???? It is a slow process, I know! ;-)

So that's my advice, but I'm no expert.

PS I have an image of M51 Whirlpool Galaxy in my SGL album, that I took with just my camera & camera lens on an nEQ6.....it is not stunningly excellent, but does give you a bit of an idea of what can be done with just camera kit & a motorised astro mount.....& poor post processing.

I'll second the vote for Steve's book - required reading for anyone considering astrophotography. I'd say go for an EQ5 minimum, HEQ5 or NEQ6 if funds allow. The built-in tracking should be sufficient for a minute or two. Longer exposures will require auto-guiding software and probably a second scope.

Archived