Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How accurate are the images on 12 Dimentional String?

KE400

Hi

I've just been looing at what potentail views of the Messier catalogue I might have according to this website I was referred to by a co-member on here,

12 Dimensional String

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

I have a C9.25 and some of the views this software shows that I should be able to see using my barlows & powermate x5 look amazing. I'm just wondering how accurate this piece of software is, as if it is accurate I could well be in for a whole load of fun when it finally gets dark!

Can anyone confirm or inform please?

Thanks

Hello Kevin.

It terms of field of view, it's accurate, and, assuming perfect seeing (which never happens!), the planetary views are pretty accurate.

When it comes to DSO's though, I'm afraid that they'll look nothing like that, as the images used are the result of long exposure photographs with sensitive cameras.

You won't see any colour, and of the objects that you can see at all, most will look like grey smudges.

There are a few exceptions....the Ring nebula will show structure, as will the dumbell nebula, and from a dark site you may well just about be able to discern the spiral structure of M51, and M42 is always a joy.

Also star clusters are well worth a view....M13 being a real beauty.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings!!

Cheers

Rob

Another one you can try which is stand alone and free is CCDCalc by New Astronomy. It has a few more options and pretty close for accuracy of size - but same as Rob says - detail and colour are pictures rather than views. It's more for calculating the size of image on the chip than observing at the eyepiece. :D

New version of CCDCalc astro images - Our Dark Skies Forums

Archived