Lynds' Dark Nebulae

ollypenrice

Here are two from B.T. Lynds' catalaogue of dark nebulae, published in 1962. These two, LDN 684 and LDN 673 lie somewhat to the south of the Coathanger Cluster nicely embedded in the Milky Way.

I was persucuted by satellites on this one, satellites too bright to disappear under Sigma clipping, so I lost a lot of subs. The image needs much more data because the dark stuff is, by definition, so faint. Anyway, for now it looks like this! I also lost some through not realizing that the iOptron will stop at the meridian unless told not to do so! Curses, I was asleep at the time...

iOptron IEQ45, Tak FSQ85 at F3.9 and Atik 4000 OSC CCD. 4.5 hours in ten minute subs.

Olly

LDN684-AND-673-X2.jpg

'Persucuted'? Is that some kind of strange sexual deviation - tell us more! Nice picture. given that dark nebula are darker than bright nebula and I can't get bright nebula any more I doubt I will ever get these.

Dennis

'Persucuted'? Is that some kind of strange sexual deviation - tell us more! Nice picture. given that dark nebula are darker than bright nebula and I can't get bright nebula any more I doubt I will ever get these.

Dennis

Ooops, the French keyboard gets me every time!

Olly

I agree with Dennis - It's hard enough catching the bright stuff, although I would love to be able to capture the dark stuff without noise defeating me. I guess it's simply a case of getting LOADS of subs, but sadly the clouds are yet again defeating me at the moment...

However, even though you say it needs more subs, I'd be ecstatic with this - Even if I was "persucuted" all night long (my wife always wonders how and why I stay out in the dark all night long! :D)

Indeed, Andy, and it does make you think that from a dark site at F3.9 you still need, I guess, 10 hours to get this to the house standard. Harel Boren is the man on these objects but they are a delight to work on. When the moon goes I can get back to this little devil.

Olly

Archived