NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CG5/EQ5 GOTO mod

In the most drawn out astronomical saga since Hubble was repaired, my GOTO kit for my CG5 has arrived and been installed.

I got a set of Meade DS motors and a 495 Autostar from Rob Lieshman a couple of months ago and the adpator (delayed due to bugetary constraints! :clouds1:) kit from http://www.goto4all.de/what%20you%20need.htm arrived to day.

I'm usually a total muppet installing stuff like this, but I had this thing up and running in less than 10 minutes! No snags and no problems. :clouds1:

I chose the setup for the much increased slewing speed over the standard EQ5 drives which give a max of x16 speed against x128 for the new kit, rather than for the GOTO capability but I'll probably try and get it up and running at some point.

The motors are a bit noisy at the fastest slewing rates, but hey, thats my neighbours problem? :clouds1:

I must admit to one "blonde moment" I had during the setup, I wondered to myself whether the alt motor shoud go on the dec axis or the RA axis?? It doesn't matter as you can just swap the leads around to the control panel if you have them the wrong was round. Doh!!

Archived