Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another Eyepiece question

Hi All,

I am currently thinking of slowly starting to upgrade my eyepiece selection, and not sure what brand to go for. I would like the televue but cant stretch to them at the moment. The ones I am thinking of as follows Baader Genuine ortho, Baader Hyperion, Celestron excel.

Any views on the above list as to which are the best.

I am currently only using the standard skywatcher eyepieces so, would imagine all the above are a marked improvement.

Thanks Tim

In terms of pure image quality, the Baader Genuine Orthoscopics are the best on your list, especially in your F/5 scope. They have small fields of view and tight eye relief as all orthoscopics do (and as do short focal length plossls) but for under £100 a go I reckon they deliver the best images available. Accepting the FoV and eye relief limitations, I find they they perform as well as the far more expensive Tele Vue Ethe in terms of sharpness and contrast.

TeleVue plossls would be within your price range (cheaper, I think, than Baader Hyperions), and are excellent. Pay more money and you'll get a bigger field of view with same image quality.

I have the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom which is great, but it doesn't beat my TV plossls.

TeleVue plossls would be within your price range (cheaper, I think, than Baader Hyperions), and are excellent. Pay more money and you'll get a bigger field of view with same image quality.

I have the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom which is great, but it doesn't beat my TV plossls.

Yes , the TVs for me also.

TV Plössls and Orthos (either Baader Genuine, or volcano-top) are good bets, especially in faster 'scopes.

All can be found at affordable prices second hand, if you can be patient.

They'll also make a good backbone for an EP collection, one that'd move with you from 'scope to 'scope... and last you a lifetime.

Archived