NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First attempt at the Cocoon neb (IC 5146)

fwm891

First attempt at the Cocoon neb.

Details: 60 mins (10 x 6 min subs) at ISO 800 with Canon DSLR, Altair Astro 8-inch f4 and Baader MPCC flattener and UHC-S filter.

Camera was cooled to 1º C in my chiller box and guided with a Helios ST80, QHY5 and PHD on NEQ-6 Pro mount.

Not sure what colour it should be so its a best guess - looked on the web for some idea but it seems almost any colour will do!

Comments gratefully accepted (good or bad)

post-27414-133877625959_thumb.jpg

I'd say the colour was pretty good, too, as is the rest of the image. It does have a fair bit of noise so more subs would help, but I guess you are not shooting in real darkness either? That would account for it.

Olly

jsigone / Olly, Many thanks. Dark skies at the moment are virtually impossible. Final 3 frames of this sets show considerable brightening as dawn began its approached (about 02:20 ish). I'm try a re-process this morning omitting those frames to see if I can extract anymore information. Like you say needs more subs and less LP... Francis

I've added further sub frames to the original image last night. Total now at 2.5 hrs in 5, 8 and 10 minute subs. Processing and conditions as per original image.

Now showing as full frame and I've held back on the saturation. Hope you like... Francis

post-27414-133877627542_thumb.jpg

Archived