NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW Evostar 80 ED Pro or Williams Optics GT-81 Triplet

I looking at an astrophotography scope.

The feedback on the SW Evostar 80 ED Pro looks good, although the new kid on the block is the WO GT-81 Triplet. The WO is at least 50% more expensive than the SW - although it is faster at F5.9

I understand that triplets are better for astrophotography.

I realise the WO build quality is better, but the main thing is image quality and some of the feedback I have seem on SL about other WO scope's the Megrez 72 says they are well built scopes, but not better than the SW.

Thoughts. NB - link below to the WO GT-81

First Light Optics - William Optics GT-81 Triplet Refractor

Thanks

The WO is shorter focal length don't forget.

Also add the cost of any flatteners/reducers you might need plus mounting hardware.

Easy to forget :)

I have the 80ED but like the look and cost of the WO.

Cheers

Ian

I also have a SW ED80, its a top rate scope even at f7.5 & handles the blue channel very well not like the Megrez 70/72 models. Even though I have got a WO GT81 winging its way to me, the 80ED is a proven astro imaging scope. The WO GT81 will have to prove that it's upto task. I still feel the ED80 will still remain with me afterwards as when my astro buddies come around its a scope which is quite often used by them...Time will tell...

Nadeem.

Archived