These Posh "pushable" Alt-Azimuth Mounts?

Many will be aware of these rather nifty "Eazy Touch" type Alt-Azimuth mounts and similar. At the moment, for my MAK 127, I have quite a workable "push to" system on a (much modified!) AZ3. Although I have solved the "balance problem" (ruddy great springs!), the zenith is a tad difficult (a.k.a. impossible!) to access. So I wonder: Would anyone like to comment on their experience with the slightly more "upmarket" Alt-Az (Eazy Touch(?) OR SIMILAR). Some dealers suggest they are good for "low and medium powers". Can one still "push" accurately, to manually track at ~180x (Say TFOV 0.36 Deg)? Or are there any Alt-Az's that use this basic principal and incorporate manual slow motions - Like gears, man? 8)

I've used Arthurs Aztech which is a beefed up GiroII clone, it worked very well and I would recommend them for wide field viewing. For high magnification stuff though I found balance and tracking started to get a little more .... frustrating. Thats not to say they dont work, but it takes a lot more concentration to track at high powers. The only AltAz that has slow motion controls that I know of other than the AZ3 is the Vixen portamount, highly regarded by many. I think either a GiroII/EZ-Touch or Portamount would be a good replacement for the AZ3 but then again there is a cost involved. If you are looking to spend some cash, then also look at the skypod which has full GOTO capabilities too.

Thanks Gordon - I was hoping you might contribute. Re. the higher powers, I had rather suspected it might not be entirely a matter of "skill"! I sense it's a matter of offsetting such things against ALL requirements of working "in the field" - Some may (may not) be conducive to the "the experience"? Thanks for the other suggestions too. For any remaining officionados of the AZ3, I took my courage, or rather a hacksaw, in hand, and (effectively) shortened the Azimuth "flexible" slow-motion cable to ZERO. Turns out mine was solid core plastic. But, for the "wide bodied" scope owner, there's now potentially a BIT more zenith accessibility... :)

Thanks for the food for thought - Will have to start saving my pennies! In the interim, I decided to "file a bit off" my (not often used) EQ3-2, to allow the axis to point at the zenith. I also added a little "scale table" (wooden bit at centre!) and the ubiquitous digital level. Although my AZ3 plus springs ideas were "instructive", it's probably easier/better to start with a (vaguely) balanced system! For the enthusiasts of such nonsense, here's the current state of play... :)

Altaz1.jpg

Hey, it's an entirely fair question! T'be honest, lack of practice with a GEM style mounting? :D

In defense, I claim that's due to my "unconducive" site - A communal garden, used as a late-night shorcut by local "yoofs" (I really need that "grab & go" (run?) setup). But personally, I find star-hopping (v.few stars) a bit more "intuitive", when in alt-azimuth mode: Y'know M31: "left - left - up - up" &c. I'm also impressed by the star-finding potential of these "push-to" retrofit ideas - I use a cheap PDA to do coordinate conversions. Given ALL the above, and in restrospect, I do concede (waiting for) an ETX125 (say) might've been a better idea! On the other hand, I can stick my ST102/F5 on this setup, for (again rather linear!) star sweeping. :)

P.S. I should add (for a change) this particular "mod" is fairly non-destructive. The digital level is indeed drilled/screwed to the EQ3 drive mounting flange. But otherwise, I used that "double sided yakkem" the various DIY stores sell for sticking (<50lb?) errant offspring to walls etc. :)

Archived