Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Magnification

Given that my NexStar 6se has a focal length of 1500mm, I can double the perceived size of, say Saturn, by either adding a 2x barlow or by using an eyepiece of half the focal length of a notionally 'normal' 13mm but which situation is going to give the clearest image?

As always this really depends on the quality of the kit.

if you are using a good quality barlow then the barlow should have no detrimental effect to the image quality. increasing magnification does make the image dimmer and often less sharp though so be aware of this.

at 6.5mm = 230x magnification which is often too much for Saturn given the seeing in the UK. You could use this mag on double stars and moon though.

personally, I am not a fan of barlows and prefer to build a collection of eyepieces even if this means I need to do it slowly.

I agree with Moonshane, in that the turbulence of our atmosphere will only permit on average a magnification of between 150x - 180x (10mm or 8mm). You would think that magnification was everything but in fact you will discern more detail from a sharp (...be it smaller) image than one which is bloated and blurred. There will be the odd night when more magnification can be had (200x/250x +) but it might be on one or two nights a year so don't throw that 6.5mm eyepiece away but instead locate it more to the back of the box.:hello2:

James

Archived