NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is This Pelican Nebula?

steve2310

Hi all

As we finally had some clear skies last night (at last) I decided to venture outdoors and have a first go at imaging around the North American Nebula area of the sky.

Being so new to all this, this is only my 3rd object "of imaging interest" and my only previous experience is with galaxy M101 and globular cluster M13. Of course these objects are very obvious when imaging in terms of correct framing, having the object centred etc.

However last night I found I was unsure as to whether the object I was aiming for (i.e, in this case the Pelican Nebula) was actually framed. Of course this down to my ignorance and being so new to astronomy, so I put my faith and trust in the NEQ6 GOTO.

I went through the process of star alignment and asked the mount to point me at the Pelican Nebula. Below is a very rough result of this imaging session containing a stack of 20 x 5m through a WO Megrez 72, WO FF III and Canon 550d (modded).

This is only a test and the stars are pretty awful in the corners (the flats that I used were taken through my Equinox 120ed and I am only using them until I get some with the WO Megrez!!)

I have posted the full image and a crop of what I believe is the Pelican. Anybody who can confirm what I have captured I would really appreciate it. To be honest I think I will have to bin last nights images but it's still a huge learning process for me and I am willing to make mistakes along the way.

Thanks,

Steve

post-23836-133877623937_thumb.jpg

post-23836-133877623945_thumb.jpg

Many thanks Bizibilder for confirming. I'm going to have another go at imaging again tonight but the problem with last nights images are the stars that "lost shape" so close to the Pelican due to the gradient etc.

If the pelican was better centred I'd have been ok.

Thanks again,

Steve

Yeah thanks Olly - I realised that this morning once I had completed the final stack etc - DOH!!!

I'm currently stacking again with no flats to see if it is any better (for the time being) until I get some with flats with the WO Megrez.

Thanks for the advice.

Oops! Didn't spot the bit about the flats - Olly is right, You must take flats with the set-up undisturbed. You can take darks at any time and build up a library, thus saving valuable imaging time. They must be the same temperature (+- 2-3°C) and same exposure length though. i take mine on cluody nights - gives the camera something to do!!

Archived