Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

About to pull the pin on an ATIK 383L+

NickK

The day is almost here - anyone had major issues with the ATIK 383L+? I've decided that as the 36mm option is fickle and there's not enough evidence to support it's use, I'd go 2".

Shopping list is:

ATIK 383L+

2" T-Ring nose adaptor for the 383

2" Extension tube, threaded.

Baader 2" LP filter

Baader 2" IR/UV

Flat-field panel 6" (scope is 105mm aperture)

Any issues with that list? Is it worth going for a Holotech self centring adaptor?

Initially I'm going to go unguided, simply copying the same setup I have with the 16ic. Then next month going for the OAG, with the 16ic as a guide cam. LRGB+FTW2 will have to wait till the autumn.. but they'd require additional exposure time to use anyway.

Looks a good list to me. Something Im considering in the future too, so will be interested in replies.

I may be wrong, but hasnt Nadeem been using a 383L with 1.25" filters quite successfully? I just imagine a set of 2" filters will make a big dent in the wallet.

As for the SCA, I would personally consider it. I think I am going to get one soon for my DSLR as they seem a great piece of kit, the only thing I can't work out at the moment is whether this will still allow my MPCC to be put into the optical train.

I agree with Digz - The Hotech (for me) does make collimation/centring a breeze... and also Nadeem has indeed been having some great results with his 383+ and 1.25" filters.

If I'm right that your scope runs at about f6.5(?), and as you're getting the EL Panel anyway, you might well be able to save yourself a fair bit when it comes to the filters / FW by going down the 1.25" route...

Yep, f6.38 so it's not too brutal compared to some of the f4-5 newts are available. I noted Nadeem's results with the 1.25" so I'm considering attempting to use the 1.25" nose and filters from the 16ic just to see if it causes any issues.

Glyn - I thought about a larger sony however I wanted something with smaller pixels. The 16ic has 7.8um and the 383 has 5.4um. In short I'd like to get as much detail out of a short as possible with the equipment I have.

Once you get the filter wheel you will connect the camera directly onto it to get the filters as close as possible to the chip.

I would consider the 2" nose for the other side of the filter wheel or even a direct connection to your scope as you don't want to narrow the light path in front of the filter wheel or you will introduce vignetting.

Cheers

We'll the 383 and panel is ordered. I thought I'd borrow the 1.25" nose from the 16ic initially. I'm curious to see how much vingetting appears with a standard nose attached 1.25 filter.

Once I've had a play I'll get the other bits.

Annoyingly it appears the 383 is out of stock... *points at in stock for overnight delivery claim on the web page*

Well at least I get the cloud now and not later..

Annoyingly it appears the 383 is out of stock... *points at in stock for overnight delivery claim on the web page*

Well at least I get the cloud now and not later..

Oops :hello2:

Sorry. I added that line back when FLO was the only UK dealer to have them. They are now more readily available but I forgot to edit the product description. More are en-route so you will probably recieve your order later this week or early next.

Steve

Archived