best nebula filter

Astronomik and Lumicon are excellent quality brands but the lower cost Skywatcher and Castell ones work well too. With your scope an O-III filter would be pretty potent on nebulae. Remember that you will need the 2" variety if you use, or plan to use 2" eyepieces.

I just bought the TS UHC. As a filter it is almost useless as it seems to dramatically increase the amount of cloud cover... ;-)

I have had one chance to try it out in less-than-perfect conditions and it did show some improvement over the unfiltered view.

According to Lumicon, a UHC can be used with an exit pupil of 1mm or more, and an O3 with an exit pupil of 3mm or more. So if you plan on using mags of 100x or less with your 300mm scope, than you could use an O3 (following Lumicon's advice).

I had a UHC-S and found it worked well in smaller aperture scopes (I believe it's designed for them in fact). It was the 1st filter that showed me the Veil Nebula in a 100mm scope and later even an 80mm under a really dark sky.

There are filters that have more impact when used with larger aperture scopes through (say 6" or more).

Frankie, I would say it depends on your situation, for example

-using for visual or photographic use?

-is your light pollution really bad, can you make out most of the constellations, or can you see only the very brightest stars?

It also depends on what sort of street lights you have nearby. For example, I have white fluorescent street lights which penetrate even an Astronomik OIII but not the extremely narrowband Baader OIII filter. The filters should be chosen to suit your environment, your kit, and your intended uses.

Frankie, I would say it depends on your situation, for example

-using for visual or photographic use?

-is your light pollution really bad, can you make out most of the constellations, or can you see only the very brightest stars?

It also depends on what sort of street lights you have nearby. For example, I have white fluorescent street lights which penetrate even an Astronomik OIII but not the extremely narrowband Baader OIII filter. The filters should be chosen to suit your environment, your kit, and your intended uses.

Hi i would be using it for visual viewing, i have very little light pollution where i am

Archived