NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tonight I am visiting my local astronomy club, but ..................

swag72

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Er.... I trust you met Mike Glazier... who is english with his spansh wife and partally runs the club?

A few of us from his old UK club gave hm a hand many years ago dong a public observng event for a solar eclipse, that was fun.

When you see him next give him my regards, Kev

Not knowingly Kev - Didn't meet any english folk at all. Will enquire next week and pass on your regards. Is it the right club? I ask as I was told there were no english people / speakers at all at the club.

Er.... I trust you met Mike Glazier... who is english with his spansh wife and partally runs the club?

A few of us from his old UK club gave hm a hand many years ago dong a public observng event for a solar eclipse, that was fun.

When you see him next give him my regards, Kev

Wrong club Kev. Mike is part of the Denia Astronomy Group. We are an english speaking group based in Denia - about 100 kms south of Valencia.

Frank

your lucky that you have an astronomy club!!!! I live in a small rural town were the only thing that matters is football i wish I could go to a club meeting regardless of how much of the langauge i could speek!

• 2 months later...

Hi Sara (and everyone else!),

I'm a first time poster and just registered with Stargazers Lounge after reading this post.

Having studied some Astrophysics many years ago I'm keen to get back into Astronomy on an amateur basis but, like Sara, I'm now living in Valencia and don't speak any Spanish.

I am curious to know if you've stuck at it with the local Valencia Astronomy Association and if you think it would be a good place for an amateur to reignite his passion for astronomy?

Many thanks!

Endearing mistakes made by foreigners reminds me of an Austrian professor who asked a female English post-doc in his best Emglish whether he could seduce her for a cup of coffee. He was a bit baffled by her smile and reply "Is that the going rate?" The "Google translate" equivalents in Dutch and German are quite harmless, but different usage of prepositions in languages can make for entertaining errors.

Having said that, my experiences abroad indicate that people are quite readily impressed by your efforts, and as others have also said, the only way to learn is to practice.

Archived