Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An Earwig, MAK and 3Hrs!

JKB

So tonight due to the lovely weather we have had of late I decided to take a few pictures of birds in the garden. I saw a few of the less common species earlier in the evening so tried to have a go.

I only have an 18-55mm lens and the birds looked rubbish! Ahhh I know I will get the 127Mak out and have a go prime focus with the DSLR.

Scope set up on EQ3/2 (Not easy to move to locate non celestial objects I might add!) And I took loads of pics. Clouds came heading my way and I decided to pack up. When I went to put the cover on the MAK I saw a horrible sight! An EARWIG! Crawling on the inside of the front lens! :)

The worst was yet to come. I quickly unscrewed the front lens housing to release said minibeast but to my horror found the primary covered in little black footprints. Well actually it looked like an Octupus had been crawling all over it! Black marks everywhere. :)

With scope inside I dismantled. Now I understood where the octopus ink had come from! What did the people at Skywatcher think when they crammed every moving part with BLACK grease? It was everywhere!

Now I know not to clean your primary as a bit of dust wouldn't matter but this looked like my 3yr old had drawn over it with a black marker pen! So 3hrs later and I have cleaned it and the front lens. I still have black stuff all over the place! Luckily none where it shouldn't be. (Although the wife won't be happy when she sees the dining room table!)B)

I have no idea how the Earwig got into the scope as it is sealed at one end and has a dust cap the other?????

Still here's a pic of the woodpecker!

Cheers

Jamie

post-24182-13387762021_thumb.jpg

Archived