Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TEC 110 APO "Eclipse" Fluorite F/5.6 Refractor

Just "window shopping" really but this 110mm scope does take my fancy I have to admit. :) Just the right in-between size and being a TEC the quality and performance would be first rate. After looking at all the info I couldn't help mentally calculating what I'd have to sell to afford it, although I'm so satisfied with the FLT98 Feather Touch it's a bit unlikely that I'd want to spend that much just for an extra 12mm aperture, but you never know. :)

Anybody have any opinnions on this scope ?

Manufacturer's blurb

TEC 110 APO "Eclipse" Fluorite F/5.6 Refractor

Manual http://www.telescopengineering.com/pdfs/110manual.pdf

During a series of 2009 user group discussions, TEC discovered that their customers wanted a smaller, faster refractor that they could use for both visual use and wide field astrophotography. The result is the 110mm APO Fluorite Refractor! Made to the same high standards as their larger telescopes, the 110mm APO refractor uses both CaF2 and BBar optical glass with an oil spaced triplet design to ensure the best possible transmission and efficient use of light.

Keeping portability in mind, TEC made this refractor the perfect travel telescope. At only 10 pounds and under 19 inches in length, it is able to be carried aboard *most airlines. Customers also wanted a faster design than TEC's earlier models for shorter exposure times, so the focal ration was cut down to 5.6. This puts the 110mm TEC in a league of it's own. It is the fastest and most compact telescope of this size and quality!

TEC also included a precision rotatable 3.2" focuser of their own design which is insensitive to fluctuations in temperature thanks to an all metal collet. The collet allows the focuser to support a 12 pound load with no effect on the draw tube or rotation performance. Featuring both fine (1.8mm) and coarse (18mm) adjustments, the focuser also requires no oiling or greasing keeping the draw tube clean and smooth.

• Oiled triplet design for ultra efficient use of light combined with CaF2 lens elements and BBar coatings on all outer surfaces.
  • Retractable dew shield for ultra portability.
  • Round edged baffles reduce turbulence.
  • Clam shell with hex key closure and carry handle. Readily adaptable to standard dovetail adpaters.
  • TEC 3.2" Rotating Collet style focuser with an awesome 12 pound capacity!
  • *Carry case dimensions are readily accepted on most airlines as a carry on luggage item.
  • All telescope components are made and assembled in the USA.

John

I have a lot to thank this beauriful little telscope for. A very nice guy called Dave, not too far from you, John, decided to order one for portability and put his TEC140 up for sale.... Without him I dare say I would still be looking for one!

He decided to deliver it himself (!) so we became friendly and swap mails from time to time. Initially, with the 110, he had an image shifting problem when focusing but TEC sent him a new focuser and now he says he's delighted by the scope and feels that, on the planets, he isn't losing much. The 110 is designed to be small enough for airline cabin baggage which makes it quite a special scope.

If ever I move away from a dark site and become a wandering astronomer then this might be the baby for me.

It's expensive.

Olly

Hi John in Derby,

zhat seems to me like lots of advertisment stuff...

Advertisment aside I like that scope a lot.

It would give me all I want as the secind scope besides my main scope:

Wide field and big exit pupil for wide field under dark skies.

Suitable for solar viewing with a Herschel wedge, o.k. for Lunar viewing.

Compact and lightweight. Only downside:

My wife would kill me if I spend that much money for it.

Cheers, Krsten

Archived