Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Question: measuring scope flexure

rfdesigner

I'm trying to look ahead with my imaging setup. I'd been thinking that a Baader RCC would sit nicely in my proposed setup, but I've now found out that they are super-sensitive to scope flexure and I can't make out how I would make use of a MPCC or similar.

Now seeing as my scope is a one of a kind it means I can't take anyone elses experience, I'll have to measure the flexure of my scope myself.

So... How?.. has anyone else done this?

Derek

It probably depends on what sort of scope you've currently got. Refractor / reflector, optical design, aperture, f-ratio, tube construction, mounting design etc etc.... Difficult to give any ideas without knowing any of this.

It's the biggest scope in my signiture

12" Windowed Newt

It's f5, 1500mm fl, crayford 2" low prifile focusser. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to modify the cell a bit as the primary mirror is likely to squash the support pads (it's 2" thick)

Point is, just how do I accurately measure the flex in this instrument?...

The only idea I have is to collimate it on it's side, then flip it 180 degrees and re-check the collimation... but that won't give me a true measurement, just a 'it's flexed a bit' result

Derek

Have to agree the only way I think to measure is to pop the laser collimator in and try it in different positions but that doesn't quantify the flexure other than the spot has moved X mm.

Archived