Would an AZ4 take an Evostar 120?

I have an AZ4 under an f 7.5 ED120 and it works well. I've not tried anything bigger though, I keep meaning to try my 150mm f5 refractor but havn't got around to it yet.

edit: I have the upgraded tripod legs and I think that makes a fair bit of difference to what the mount can take.

What to Gaz ?

Oh sorry mate. I thought there were 2 kinds of tripod legs for this mount but looking on FLO it looks like theres just the 1.75" legs. Those are the ones I've got.

Sorry for the confusion.

I've put my AZ-4 on the 2" steel legged CG5 tripod from time to time. It's really solid then although I'd still hesitate to say that it will handle the Evostar 120 or 150PL OTA's for anything other than low to medium power viewing. Those are long tubes as well as having some weight.

I've put my AZ-4 on the 2" steel legged CG5 tripod from time to time. It's really solid then although I'd still hesitate to say that it will handle the Evostar 120 or 150PL OTA's for anything other than low to medium power viewing. Those are long tubes as well as having some weight.

For high powers on an alt/az I think the magnification is a big factor as well. The mount takes the ED120 weight and size well enough but those type of mounts can be tricky to use at high mags no matter what the scope is to a certain extent IMHO.

Hmmm that's that idea gone bosh then. I was hoping to use it for both my Evo 120 & 127 MAK. I'm sure the MAK sits fine on on an AZ4 but I use it for splitting doubles and it sounds like high mags are going to be as much hassle as my dob was. Do they not do motors for AZ mounts ?? I was hoping to use the mount for both scopes so I doubt the usual supa trak mount will be up to the task.

They don't do motors but I think the SkyTee has slow motion controls. For me, with planetary and double starts I like a mount that tracks and that usually means an EQ. I use the alt/az more for more general medium/low power stuff with maybe the odd look at planets and double stars.

Archived