Veil Advise.

Hi everyone. Can anyone offer any advise on viewing the Veil Nebula. I have tried now on a couple of occasions and frankly have been a little underwhelmed. Admittedly the seeing conditions have not been great lately and probably not helping my cause. I have been using a 32mm plossl in my 8'' dob and can just about detect it (I think). Is the 8'' aperture enough to give satisfactory views of the Veil and would a filter of some sorts help?

In my opinion, using a filter is essential for viewing the Veil nebula, and none does it better than an OIII filter.

Skywatcher's OIII is very good, and very reasonably priced First Light Optics - Skywatcher OIII Filter

OIII is a very useful filter to have generally, but I would say it would be worth the cost just to view this magnificent object!

Good luck!

Andrew

Hi Dermot

The Veil Nebula is best seen like most diffuse nebulae from dark skies, the darker the better.

However an O111 filter does bring it out of the sky background better.

I can make it out with my 10" just, from close to London but only with the O111 filter. Without it, it disappears.

The O111 filter is a great help on most planetary and diffuse (emission) Nebula and is a great addition to any DS observers arsenal.

Regards Steve

I agree with Andrew and the others, this is an object where a good UHC or O-III filter is essential unless you have very dark skies indeed and even then the filter will make the difference between a very faint suggestion of the object and a clear and rather lovely view.

Also use your lowest powered / widest field of view eyepiece - the Veil complex is a large object.

Thanks very much for the replies. I will order up an Oiii filter and fingers crossed will have more success. I have been considering a 32mm Skywatcher Panaview or a 35mm Aero to give me some nice wide field views. Would the Aero be worth the extra investment? My scope is f5.9 so i don't think its too fussy with cheaper eyepiece's.

I think you would notice a significant improvement in the quality of view in the Aero, and you'd get just that bit more field of view. Small improvements, but possibly worth the extra...

Andrew

Ok then, the Aero it is. It'll be my first wide field ep so looking forward to the experience. Roll on payday :(

The 35mm Aero ED would work excellently with your 8" F/6 dobsonian :eek:

You will need to budget for a 2" filter now though ...... :)

The 35mm Aero ED would work excellently with your 8" F/6 dobsonian :eek:

You will need to budget for a 2" filter now though ...... :)

Jeez, there won't be much left of the pay cheque at this rate :( Ah well, one week of beans on toast will be good for the soul :(

Your current 32mm plossl with a 1.25" UHC or O-III filter will show the Veil - a 2" eyepiece is not mandatory - you just see more of it at once with the wide field of view that a 2" gives.

I realise you are right John and would get away with the filter and the 32mm but have been toying with the idea of purchasing a decent 2'' ep for a while now. I would love a Nagler but afraid funds at the minute won't stretch that far. I'll go with the Aero and the 2'' filter and hopefully will have more success with the Veil. Thanks again for the help guys.

Archived