NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A first telescope

Hi,

I am looking for my first telescope so would like some advice please. From chatting with a more experienced friend there seems to be a choice between looking at the objects visually and imaging. From his advice and a lot of reading the choice seems to be a refractor for imaging and a newtonian for visual stuff.

As it is early days for me I am most interested in looking at objects so the newtonian would seem to be the right choice but I know that imaging will happen later. From a bit of surfing I have decided not to spend a fortune and am considering the skywatcher A-Z Goto mount with either the startravel 102 refractor or skymax 127 newtonian so any advice on a choice appreciated.

The possible alternative choice as they use the same A-Z goto mount is to buy one with the mount and the second just as the telescope so both are available for use.

Thanks

Pete

The 102 is nice but an achro and fast as in f/5 so will display chromatic abberation.

The Skywatcher Skymax is a Mak not a newtonian as best I am aware so I am assuming you means a Mak.

Mak's are long focal length and narrow field of view therefore. The narrow field of view does not help the goto alignment - I have one, learnt that lesson a long time back.

The 102 will be the easier to use.

If you are thinking of possible use for some imaging then as said the 102 will show CA, the 127 Mak is really too long a focal length. Accurate tracking with that focal length is not easy.

Also if imaging is in the back of your mind an Alt/Az mount is not good either. Owing to the way the mount moves the image suffers from field rotation.

Hi Pete, welcome to SGL.

I think you will enjoy either choice of scope as a beginner. However, as ronin, suggest an Alt-Az mount is not best suited to astrophotography. That isn't to say its not possible with this kind of mount, it is, but you need to adjust your expectations accordingly.

If you think you will have a strong desire to get into astrophotography I would suggest looking at an EQ mount otherwise known as a german equatorial mount or GEM. EQ mounts are much more suited to astrophography and wont suffer the field rotation of an Alt-Az.

Another option would be to consider a dob (more bang for your buck) and providing you get a solid tube dob rather than a truss dob you could, at a later date, buy an EQ mount and transfer the tube to this.

Hi Pete,

Welcome to SGL - we help lots of folks to get started in astronomy. Let's take a look at your needs, then see how we can accommodate them without breaking the bank.

You want something that is simple to use, easy to set up and get started viewing, and something of a reasonable size that you can handle easily. You want something that can show wonderful views of the Moon and planets like Saturn and Jupiter, and large enough to allow you to see nebulae, galaxies and star clusters far outside our own solar system. Oh yes, you would also like to take pictures with your kit!

Astrophotography requires an entire suite of skills above and beyond basic astronomy and telescope operation (and repair!). It put tremendous demands upon the telescope mount as well as the optics, and it is not unusual to find an astronomer who has more invested in the mount than the optics. The best route for a beginner who is serious about it, is to purchase a simple scope that can be upgraded to a good mount later on.

I would recommend that you consider a 150 - 200mm dobsonian telescope. I teach introductory astronomy to hundreds every year, and I start all of them out with a 150mm Dob; it is the workhorse scope of our program. These scopes are simple to operate, offer fantastic views, and can be easily upgraded to a good EQ mount later on. A scope like this will do everything you want (except photography), and you will have success from the first night out. Scopes like these can see thousands of targets - enough for a lifetime of enjoyment.

If you haven't done so, look up the local astro club and take in a meeting. You will find lots of folk who are friendly and love to chat about their own kit. Chances are that you could go observing with the club and see lots of different scopes and even get to try some before you purchase.

Have fun,

Dan

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, defintely showing my newbie credentials. The SkyMax 127 is attractive as easy to move in and out of the house as up/down steps, rough ground, etc. I am aware that visual and astro photograpghy have opposite equipment demands and AP can be much more expensive for decent results.

I was kind of hoping that the GOTO bit would help with locating objects knowing the Mak has a narrow field of view but this is obviously dependant upon initial alignment and general slewing accuracy. I think all in the SkyMax 127 provides a reasonable introduction subject to the limitations noted and I won't feel too bad if I really don't get on with and just put it in the corner.

I think there are a couple of Astro clubs local to me so will see if I can make a visit.

Cheers

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I plumped for a big Celestron SCT Goto for my first telescope setup (because I had the dosh and didn't like the sound of manual set up), having had some poor alignment problems I'm now wanting to try out that manual set up that I skipped and will probably go for a HEQ5 or HEQ6 Syntrek mount eventually (motorised but no goto, brilliant for viewing or photography), but for now I've got my eye on a small Startravel 80 on EQ1 just to see what that kind of telescope (refractor) and manual mount is like to use.

The Goto has become both a blessing and a curse for me, on the one hand it's a joy when it works, but more often than not I find myself cancelling it and point the telescope manually using the direction buttons as it tends to go around the houses when I know it should only be a small move (like a satnav sending someone via Poland to get 100 miles down the road!)

I would seriously suggest a cheap small telescope to get you started, either a Mak or a Refractor, on a small EQ or Alt-Az mount, but treat it as just one facet of what's available; if it doesn't do it for you then try a different type of telescope / different mount as funds allow, you may find that the same telescope can be transformed on a better mount or with better quality eyepieces.

Archived