plastic studs.

Can anyone tell me if the three plastic lugs that are fitted between the base boards on my sw dob.should be removed?.By leaving these studs on dont they make the teflon washer redundant?Cheers,:)

When I had a SW 200p Dob, the only thing between the base boards was the three

teflon pads. I added a centre bearing around the bolt to take a tiny bit of the load

off the three teflon pads, this made the movement better. Cannot recall any plastic

lugs you mention.

The teflon pads were stapled to the board, and one of the staples was level with

the bearing surface. I used a nail punch to sort that.

HTH, Ed.

When I had a SW 200p Dob, the only thing between the base boards was the three

teflon pads. I added a centre bearing around the bolt to take a tiny bit of the load

off the three teflon pads, this made the movement better. Cannot recall any plastic

lugs you mention.

The teflon pads were stapled to the board, and one of the staples was level with

the bearing surface. I used a nail punch to sort that.

HTH, Ed.

That's a really good idea. I might give that a go too :)

Thanks for the reply NGC,the plastic lugs:eek: i am on about are the teflon ones in your reply.Can you tell me what your central bearing around the washer is made from?, thanks for your help,:)

there's a few threads around about using milkbottle plastic for this. that's what i did - it definitely made a difference. sticky tape around the outside plastic tube which the bolt goes through to give it a better fit in the hole in the boards is also a good idea, as is wax or polish on the boards themselves.

Can you tell me what your central bearing around the washer is made from?

For the centre bearing around the bolt, I used some Teflon (also

called PTFE) available here -AWR Technology (Astronomy - Electronics) Miscellaneous

I shimmed it with tape, as it needs to be a tiny fraction thicker

than the outer teflon bearings, so just a small part of the load

is taken off them. If you use too much shimming, then the scope

will teeter on the central bearing.

Some just use any thin plastic for this (milk container) and adjust

the thickness accordingly with several pieces.

HTH, Ed.

Archived