Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looking into guiding for my LX90

CKemu

Learned recently that despite tracking with an EQ wedge, guiding is the next hurdle to cross in order to get better long exposure photography.

I have a Meade LX90 8" SCT, fork mounted on the EQ wedge., usual extras like a power pack, Nikon D300, crayford focuser, etc

So I need help building a shopping list, suppliers and general feedback. What makes for a good guide scope, what kind of equipment do I need to attach it, what kind of guide cams can I get to attach to the scope (including compatibility issues), do I have to have a laptop.

This time round, before spending hard earned cash, I would really like help getting the most suitable stuff for me, and will greatly appreciate any help you can bring to this.

Of course, cheap is good, but not to sacrifice quality, I'd rather spend a bit now, rather than spend a ton on repairs or upgrades.

Rather than using a guidescope and guidecam, you could also consider using an off axis guider; this gives you a couple of advantages; less weight on the fork mount (some earlier LX90 mounts only had plastic gear parts, not sure about the later ACF versions); and no problems with differential flexure between two scopes. The disadvantage is there can be difficulty in finding a suitable guide star and if you have a large camera + filter wheel etc, there might not be enough room between the scope and the fork mount.

Using the guidescope will require some mounting hardware (usually a rail which screws tto the aluminium front and rear and has rings attached. The main advantage is you can use a relatively cheap achromat refractor, or if you get something optically better, you have the choice you could guide with the LX90 and image with the refractor.

Guidecamera can be as simple as a webcam (and pulse guiding used) or a more expensive dedicated unit could be bought which signals through a cable direct to your mount.

Steve

I think I will go for a guide-scope based solution, as my SLR when attached to the back of the scope limits movement already - given it would bump into the base of the fork.

What kind of refractor would you go for, and does it matter what aperture I get? Any good cheap recommendations? (Noting I live in the UK, so if it's Meade, I suspect it'll be as rare as rocking horse.....)

As for the guidecam, I would prefer to get something that would interface with the scope and make adjustments. I don't own a laptop currently, though I have a friends I can borrow for any software requirements.

There are several stand alone guiders on the market right now, I believe the Baader and skywatcher products are popular. Check on, for example:

First Light Optics - Guide cameras

The mounting hardware, ADM manufacture some of the best, Telescope House also sell some BCF gear which will just as easily do a good job. You will need something like this:

First Light Optics - ADM Mini Dovetail System with Guidescope Rings

If you only want to guide with the refractor then First Light Optics - Skywatcher Startravel 80 OTA are popular (you may also need a small extension tube to get your camera to focus.

There are plenty of different options available to you. As you will see, on there own each option isn't too expensive, but wwhen you need to get them all, it does start to add up.

Steve

Thanks for your tips and the links, I explored them a fair amount - you're not kidding the cost adds up pretty fast. However I also discovered a seemingly cheap "bundle". The kit has had some pretty positive reviews (aside from the loops and rail being a bit flimsey).

Orion Telescopes: Orion Awesome AutoGuider Refractor Telescope Package

Found it in the UK from prices ranging between £350-450 depending on the shop, annoying given that the price in the US works out to around around £240.

Any thoughts on this package?

I chose to go with the Orion ST80 guidescope mounted with ADM 125mm rings to a Vixen style dovetail. For guide camera, I'm using a SPC900 webcam. Using PHD software and a netbook connected via Meade 505 cable and USB-serial adapter.

You could use similar, but get a guide camera with ST4 output along with the 909 clone adapter, instead of the webcam and the netbook. BTW, the Orion package you mentioned does not attach to the LX90 directly.

BTW, most LX90s will need their Autostar patched to work properly when being guided.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have a pretty effective counter weight setup currently, I will probably have to add a few kg's more with a guide scope, though now I am dreading the hunt for the Meade #909 adapter... gah!

Meade stuff is rare in the UK as it is, so getting a discontinued product is possibly going to be impossible! :)

I have been told, (but don't totally understand the method) that you can avoid the 909 adapter by simply plugging in the camera to the laptop and the scope also into the laptop via the R323/USB cable and guide / control the scope via software like PHD.

Can anyone confirm that this works, or explain how this can be achieved.

I have been told, (but don't totally understand the method) that you can avoid the 909 adapter by simply plugging in the camera to the laptop and the scope also into the laptop via the R323/USB cable and guide / control the scope via software like PHD.

Can anyone confirm that this works, or explain how this can be achieved.

Yes, this works. Camera into laptop running PHD. Ascom 5.5 driver for Meade classic scope, usb/serial adapter with Meade 505 serial cable to Autostar. Autostar has to be patched to work properly to guide the LX90. I just got this working on mine a few weeks ago.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ahh this is rather good news to hear, I was concerned that I would either have to hunt around forever for a 909 APM or possibly invest in the 909 clone. Thanks for confirming this.

Do you have any pictures of your set up, firstly I'm always interested in seeing other Meade set ups, and I am curious about how you solve various cable and balance issues.

Do you have any pictures of your set up, firstly I'm always interested in seeing other Meade set ups, and I am curious about how you solve various cable and balance issues.

I don't have any pictures yet, but will try to get some over the next week or so. I've yet to resolve all the cable and balance issues. I have a Losmandy weight on the bottom rail to help offset the guidescope on the top rail, but will likely have to add more weight on the bottom. I use velcro straps for helping to secure the cables once I get everything connected.

Well I have ordered the Orion Awesome Guider Package, the RS232 to USB adapter, and will be getting some loops and a rail to mount the guidescope on soon.

Looks like guiding my scope is going to set me back around £450 total (minus laptop, but my sister is gifting me one! :) )

Look forward to learning this, and fear I may need to buy some additional weights, but we shall see :(

Archived