Adjust Constellation Chart for Latitude

After expressing interest in wanting to learn more about the constellations, I received a sort-of constellation chart for Christmas.

Essentially its a wheel with a map of the constellations (Polaris is the centre pivot) and it turns with time and date adjustments to cover the area hidden by the horizon.

The chart is for 40-50 degrees latitude (North), however I am going on a trip to Greece whose latitude falls more into a 30-40 degree range.

I am wondering if there is an easy way to 'adjust' my chart for the difference in latitude (ex: move the chart two hours ahead).

Can anybody provide any assistance? Thanks in advance.

I have a feeling that the answer will be no (unless anyone else knows different). What you will find if you use it there, is that the 'northern' edge will not be visible, but the southern edge will be slightly higher in the sky. If you point polaris on the map towards polaris in the sky, the constellations will still be in the same relative positions, however.

FWIW, I would advise taking the opportunity to observe the constellations that are 'south', which will be easier to see than from the UK.

HTH

Hi ellemenope, welcome to SGL :)

They're called planispheres and are usually designed to work about 5º either side of the latitude they're set to. Unfortunately they can't be "reset" to a different latitude.

You probably have something like this one for the UK's latitude (set at 51ºN, works from ~45ºN to ~57ºN).

What you'll need is something like this Planisphere for USA, Southern Europe & Japan (set at 42ºN, works from ~36ºN to ~48ºN).

HTH :)

I have a Philips planisphere for 51 deg N, but i can lift the edge of the upper disc up, and actual star map underneath shows the constelations down to ~ -60deg.

If yours is like this too, could you simply lift the top disc up to view the constelations near the horizon?

Peter (Cornelius Varley ) flagged a DIY Plansisphere on the net . I used to know the Taki one but 'Access is now forbidden' . Subsequently I have found this one that may help Planisphere .

A good (and cheap ) investment is the book Collins Gem - Stars ( at under 4 squid/calimari ) . Fits in the top pocket too :) .Always with me when I am abroad . Hope this helps.

Here's a working link to Taki's Home Page.

His Double-sided Planisphere is the first link under "Tools for Observation".

Lots of good stuff on the web-site, particularly his Star Atlases.

Jack, neat idea. Hadn't thought of that. Mind you, you'll only get a little extra along the Southern horizon/outer edge.

HTH :)

Archived