Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Load capacity of CG4 mount?

GordonCopestake

I was looking for the load capacity of the new Celestron CG4 mount but couldn't find it on any website. So I sent an email to Celestron tech support asking the load capacity and about if eq3/2 accessories will fit the CG4 with it being a synta made mount. I got the reply:

Load capacity of CG4 mount

The maxium weight for the C4 mount will be approxmently 40lbs, as for the accessories yes they will fit that mount sir, we are owned by synta. I do hope that I was of some assistants to you.

Sincerly, Celestron Support Team

Now 40lbs seemed a lot to be, so I replied asking them to confirm the 40lbs figure and got the reply:

Load capacity of CG4 mount

Gordon, that is correct no more than 40lbs.

Sincerly, Celestron Support Team

Now is it just me or does this seem a little excessive? Can anyone give a more sane reply or am I being too skeptical?

I may be wrong here Gordon (and I've had a long day and this did happen a while ago!!) but the CG4 has the same load capacity (in theory) as the CG5/ EQ5 not the EQ3/2. A lot went on but I think Celestron didn't want people to get the idea that the CG4 was less able than the EQ5 due to the numbering so they just renamed it the CG5.

Archived