best planetary scope for under £500?

If you had too pick a planetary scope with mount for under £500 what would you choose?

How would it compare with a 12" skywatcher dobsonian?.

We are very close to finally ordering our dob primarily for DSOs, but im curiouse as to how it would compare to a planatary scope around the 500 price range?.

If it's in good collimation, the 12" dobsonian will give excellent planetary views. I doubt you can buy a scope for £500 which would match it let alone beat it.

Thats good to know:) we had planned to go for the standard dob with no tracking ability's and nudge it when needed, Tracking/goto would be awesome but do you know how loud the systems are? we are quite close to our neighbors on either side.

Tracking mode is virtually silent for most scopes because the motors move so slowly.

Slewing is a different matter, but again, if you don't insist on the highest speed the scope will go, that too can be relatively quiet. Noise of the gear train always increases with speed.

Dan

Hi...ok I'm biased.. I've had great views of saturn with my dob...nudging is req'd at higher mags. but is much easier & more intuitive than on my wife's newt on an EQ mount...& nope...the GOTO motor isn't loud

Archived