Sometimes its better visually

mdstuart

On this forum you often here the view through a telescope is not as good as the CCD images.

Well last night I was looking at a faint pair of galaxies NGC 6500 and NGC 6501 in Hercules..

I had checked out the online images of this area so I thought I knew what to expect.

Well next to the galaxy was a star that would not focus. With a bit of effort I realised it appeared double.

In fact it was a superb evenly matched pair of stars about 2" of arc apart. Absolutely stunning :D BUT it just looks like a star on all the professional CCD pictures.

Sure enough I checked and its SFT2245 2.4 arc seconds PA294 deg

SIMBAD query result

So in this case the visual view was finer than the photo in this respect..

A lovely discovery.

Mark

Unless you live in a City like I do, a CCD is my only real opportunity to cut though the light pollution and pollution thrown out when living I an environment like a City. That's why AP was the only way forward, as I was getting so frustrated with all the Haze and LP.

Archived