Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

cloud cover

hello there again its jimmythemoonlight is it possible for cloud cover to be over the actual planet obscuring its view rather than the clouds in our sky only the other night i was trying to look at saturn with my red dot finder and our skies were completely clear as i managed to get arcturus the same way but not saturn many thanx for any explanation :D

Hi Jimmy, not sure I completely understand what you're asking, but if you're asking what I think then a cloud thick enough to completely obscure Saturn would be visible in the sky, you'd be able to see it. Could you see Saturn with the naked eye? Or did it only disappear after looking through the finder?

Matt

No not possible Jimmy it's going to be seeing/transparency of Earth's atmosphere nowhere else. Finding things for newcomers can be difficult but Saturn is there unless local cloud obscures, Saturn is right next to Porrima in Virgo (gamma Virgins). If you can see it with naked eye then the RDF should allow the scopes widefield eyepiece to give you a view if RDF is accurately aligned.

John.

yes i could see saturn with the naked eye it sounds like my rdf is unaligned and needs realigning it must have been just lucky finding arcturus have just bought new batteries for rdf and messed it up any tips for realigning sorry for any confusion im only a newcomer after all

Archived