NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Miyauchi 20 by 77

I've read that Miyauchi are excellent optically though obviously not cheap. I'm thinking that maybe quality over power is worth considering. I've two "bigish" pairs of bins, Helios qauntum 4 15x70 and Strathspey 20x90. The Helios have a fov of 4deg and the Strathspey 3 deg fov. The Miyauchi are only 2.5 deg fov, so what's everyone's opinion, does a loss of .5 deg over the Strathspey or 1.5 over the Helios really matter that much compared to the increase in optical quality ?

Cheers

Neil

The first Miyauchi I used was the 20x77 -- it's what made me get the one I now have. At the time of using the 20x77, I had a Helios 15x70 and was saving for a Fujinon 16x70 -- the Miya changed my mind about the Fujinon-- it was better, and not just because of the angled eyepieces.

If anything, the optics of the 77 were slightly sharper than those of my 100 (and they are pretty good); the only sharper binocular optics I've used have been in the Takahashi 22x60.

In your place, if I could get the 20x77 to replace the others you have, I would. The Miya is much more contrasty and, for that reason, you will almost certainly see more than in the Strath 20x90 -- and a lot more comfortably because of the angled eyepieces.

Steve,

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Just wish you hadn't provided a link to the Takahashi !:D

I may well be better offer saving up a bit of extra cash for a few months and have some bins to "last a lifetime" rather then upgrading in steps. Got a nice bonus due from work at the end of June....

Cheers

Neil

Just wish you hadn't provided a link to the Takahashi !:D

It is no longer available, so the temptation shouldn't be too great :p; I periodically look for a second hand one, but am always just too late... It is essentially "just" a couple of FS60s mated to a Katsuma binocular body. It is also the only binocular I know of that is fully illuminated across its FoV, which is one of the reasons that it can out-perform (or at least match the performance of) a 100mm fluorite. Another is that its objectives are f/5.9, which makes aberrations much easier to control than in a 100mm f5. That said, there were "issues" with some of the Miya 100mm fluorites; most were good but if anything got knocked even slightly between the factory and the customer, the performance dropped off markedly; you need your eyes exactly on axis to get expected fluorite performance.

Anyway, no such issues with the 77. One thought: there used to be a WA 26x eyepiece option -- most people seem to prefer it to the 20x; gives the same FoV.

Archived