1st Scope ordered!

Well after months of researching and more researching and changing my mind I have finally ordered my first telescope, a Skywatcher 200Pds to go with the HEQ5 Pro Synscan mount I already purchased a couple of months ago. I am very excited at finally being able to start observing. This leads me on to my question. As a first timer what objects would you recommend to start off with. I am keen to get in to DSO's, which of the Messier objects would be easier to find/see with my new set up?

Thanks

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Congrats on the new scope. You'll love it - a very functional instrument. Do you have an other EP's and Barlows, other than the standard one that will come with the scope?

I would recommend that you download a copy of stellarium, so you can see whats in the sky about you. You can then zoom in to get a closer look. Open and Globular clusters should make some fairly easy targets, like M3, M13, the beehive cluster, ...

Nebula will depend on your seeing conditions, and you may find a UHC filter might help out there.

Also, Not a DSO but if you have a fairly high power EP, Saturn is a nice sight to behold, and you should be able to spot some of the moons quite easily too. First stop each night when I go out at the moment.

Enjoy the scope.

Hi Terry,

Many thanks for the advice. I have downloaded Stellarium on your recommendation, looks a bit confusing though to me at the moment!

Would the Orion Nebulla be achievable or is it going to take me a lot of practice? Also are there any books that list objects and how difficult/easy they are too find so I have some idea of what to try and look for?

I don't have any other eye pieces yet other than the one that comes with it. That is yet another question of mine. If I was to purchase at least 2 eyepieces what would you recommend?

Thanks

Stuart

It is a bit late in the year for Orion. It will be high in the sky again in Winter. The Orion Nebula is a very easy target and will look wonderful in your scope.

Hi Stuart,

You ask about books, one that a lot of members on here use (me too) is Turn Left at Orion, this gives objects by season and comprehensive guides to finding them.

You will have to wait to Autumn/Winter to view the Orion nebula.

Another resource you might find useful is:- Tonight's Sky. This website lets you input your location and chose what type of objects you want to observe.

HTH,

Good luck and clear skies.

Edit:- Ags beat me to it re Orion.

Hi Stuart,

Second attempt at writing this. I closed the browser by accident:mad:

Stellarium is worth trying to get to grips with. Once you have set your location you will be able to see the sky at the current time and at any other time you specify. Really handy for planning your sessions. You can zoom in and see what you would expect to see.

M42 (orion) is a fairly easy target, even with a pair of bins or sometimes the naked eye. As its been pointed out its fairly low on the hozion at the moment. However heres is a link to the messier catalogue which shows the more common targets:

List of Messier objects - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can then use stellarium to see when are where they are. But you have a goto mount which will help you find them once aligned.

I dont know what you expectations are so to set them, things will nearly always look black and white at the eye peice. Colour only tend to come out with imaging.

The 200PDS comes with a 2" 28mm. EP wise you may want to consider getting an EP kit like the revelation or celestron eyeopener kit just to get you going. That will give you some idea of the EP focal lengths you like to use and I think they both come with a x2 barlow(?)

Myself I tend to use a 9mm (x111) and 15mm(x66), and with the barlow that will double those mangnifications. You wont get much need for anything over x200 very often due to the seeing. Im still a relative noob, but there are plenty of people on here who will hopefully chip in. I get a fairly good view of saturn with a barlowed 9mm and sometimes a 6mm, but thats pushing it.

Hope some of that helps.

Good choice the 200pds and syncscan mount, nice one.

You can get into most aspects of astronomy with those as your core gear.

Also you can buy accessories with confidence that you'll get your moneys worth out of them.

Regards

Barry

Archived