What are reasonable expectations for a 127mm MAK?

Hi all,

Since joining this forum a week or two ago I have been blown away by the generosity of the experienced astronomers here in providing excellent advice to us novices.

I have just taken delivery of my first scope, a skywatcher 127mm Maksutov, focal length 1500mm, with AZ Goto mount. Having only had a couple of non cloudy evenings so far, I am still getting to know the equipment and learning to find my way around the sky with the help of the excellent Stellarium. I had a great view of Saturn and the moon on my first tryout which put me on a definite high.

I have only tried the scope out in my back garden so far which does suffer from LP somewhat, particularly prior to midnight as neighbours put on their bedroom lights. Once I'm a bit more up to speed I intend to take the scope, my laptop and camera (Canon EOS450D) out to a field somewhere for a few hours to get a darker sky.

My question is, what objects other than planets and the moon can I reasonably expect to be able to observe and / or image with this equipment? I don't really know where to start looking or what the full capabilities of this scope are. I realise that with only 5" of aperture am not going to be able to work through the Messier Catalog and I dont want to try to run before I can walk. But are there any galaxies, clusters or nebulas within reach of this scope?

Even after only two sessions I can foresee wanting to buy a much bigger scope at some point (way) in the future, but I'd like to think that I'll be able to see at least some interesting objects beyond the solar system with my starter scope.

Any pointers / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bryn

Hi Bryn!

Congrats on your new scope! A 127 Mak is a wonderful instrument - I've had a chance to use the Orion version (same scope, different paint job) and it is a wonderful instrument!

With the long focal length, you will get lots of magnification and great resolution - that is your scope's strength. There are tons of things to look at! And as you have already noticed, lunar and planetary views are spectacular. For Luna, try out the "lunar 100" (you can search for it here on SGL) a list of the best 100 sites on Luna. With your scope, you can see features down to just a couple of km across, which means when you are looking at big craters like Tycho or Plato, you can actually see geological structure like central mounts, lava flows, even landslides from the crater wall down into the basin - a lot depends on seeing (clear steady skies) but you will find that the more time you take, the more you can see. LunarRepublic.com has a nice online lunar atlas for free, but you may want a paper one for at the scope. I like the Hadfield atlas myself, it matches what I can see quite well, but there are many others.

For Saturn, try hunting down the moons! There are 6 moons that should be within the grasp of your scope - and they are a challenge! I like to chart them, then 'check my score' with Stellarium. (set time and date for your observation, click on Saturn, press the spacebar to center it, then use the scroll wheel to zoom in, and you'll see them!) You can find and download my Saturn Observer's Log Sheet by clicking <HERE>. :)

Double stars are one of my favorites with a scope like this. There are lots of doubles that are absolutely beautiful, many colors and even different magnitudes. Your scope excels at this sort of thing because of its focal length and good collimation. Again - a nice atlas will help, double stars is an area that Stellarium doesn't excel at.

Another good target are globular clusters and planetary nebulae. Smaller targets that benefit from good resolution and higher magnification. Search for them in low mag (largest EP), then swap out to higher power and watch the details pop!

For your LP problem, I can suggest a light/dew shield. Many make one from rolled plastic, painted flat black and held on by Velcro. A large hood or towel over your head can also cut a lot of stray light at the eyepiece and help too. I admit it looks a bit odd, but if we worried about what the neighbors think, none of us would be out in the back garden with out scopes anyway! :p I have a denim vest with a "monk's hood" an oversize hood that blocks light for me at the EP. It's a DIY job and doesn't look exactly like Seville Row, but it's not like I wear it out and about anyway - so who cares!? :p

I hope that helps some - have a blast with your new scope, Mate!

Dan

I agree with Dan's comments above. Certainly making the effort to go to a dark site really does make all the difference to what you see. It can also help you feel a little more relaxed and not so self conscious in your own garden, especially when you are trying to pack away your kit QUIETLY at 3:00am in the morning. For some, the moon is problematic in casting light that helps mask some DSO's but there is plenty to see and explore and is truly a worthy subject of a lot of observations. There will always be bigger scopes that will show just that bit extra detail but astronomy is also about understanding what is your looking at and double stars etc is a good start. Lastly, one serious advantage of your kit is portability which makes the possibility of utilising dark sites a realistic possibility - nothing worse than buying the monster scope and babysitting with it in a garden illuminated by light pollution.

Don't forget getting hold of "Turn Left at Orion" which details objects per season that can be found using your size of scope.

Clear skies

James

- nothing worse than buying the monster scope and babysitting with it in a garden illuminated by light pollution.

James

Ahem, monster scope??? What are you trying to say here James!? :)

Portability is what you make of it - and realgrab-n-go men work out with their kit! LOL! (I think we need a weight lifter smiley!)

Dan

Thanks guys, that sounds like some great advice. I'll try the LP reduction tips when I'm in the back garden. Plus now I think I'll be well prepared with a list of viable targets when I do take the scope further afield, which should help me avoid wasting time searching for unattainable targets.

Thanks again

Bryn

I use 5" aperture scopes quite a lot and there are plenty of deep sky objects that I can see from my moderately light polluted back garden. OK, many of them just like faint patches of light, but once you know what you are seeing they do have a real fascination.

Dark skies really do make a big difference. At a dark sky site my 6" scope performs as well as my 10" does at home on deep sky objects.

Hi Bryn,

Congrats on the Mak :) By all accounts it's a cracking 'scope, certainly got a lot of fans here on SGL !

To start with why not try a bit of "astro-tourism" ? Just mooch across the skies, seeing what you can see, stopping on whatever catches your interest.

Thanks, I have downloaded turn left at orion to my kindle and have started reading it already. Also downloaded the recommended double star list and the lunar 100, so I now feel like I'm all set for the next clear night!

Haven't tried out the 'tour' function on the Goto yet, will give that a go as well, see what it comes up with.

It's my understanding that you should be able to see the entire Messier catalog with the 127 Mak from a suitable location. OK your not going to see it in the same detail as a 10" dob but non the less the catalog was comprised decades ago using a small scope with less potential than the MAK has.

You may indeed be surprised how many, challenging (fainter) objects can be seen with averted vision. Here, the GoTo facility is useful. To maximise the potential of this, consider creating a small area of hardstanding - Four 2x2 flagstones. This will allow you to star align, and be rather confident of slewing to the right place, every time. :)

Archived