NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

'Grab & Go' first scope.

Later in the year I'm looking at getting either the SW Explorer 150PDS or 200PDS on something a GOTO EQ5 or EQ6 mount.

Until then I'm looking for a smaller 'grab & go' scope that would allow me to do some lunar, planetary and perhaps solar viewing. Ideally I'd like this small scope to complement the 150 or 200PDS when I get it.

At the moment I'm considering getting the Skywatcher Skymax 102 (comes on an E2 mount). This is currently around £255.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skymax 102 (EQ2)

I don't want this smaller scope to eat into my budget too much. I think I have quite realistic expectations about the Skymax 102 - particularly on an EQ2 mount.

So I'm wondering ........

1. Is the 102 going to be suitable for the sort of viewing I want to use it for (lunar,planets,solar)

2. As the SW150 & 200 PDS are both F5 and the Skymax 102 is F12.7 is this a decent choice (as a newbie) to give flexibility for some visual & a start at imaging.

3. Can the Skymax 102 be mounted on the EQ5 GOTO mount, either standalone or piggy backed with a150PDS.

4. Are there any better options I should be looking at - keeping within about the same budget as the 102 (below £300) and able to be used on the larger mount later on.

The Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak is about the right price point, but not sure if it could be piggy back mounted.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak

Any thoughts/comments welcome.

Many Thanks

Al

Note: When talking about an EQ GoTo mount for the SW Explorer, I'm not sure yet on if it would be an EQ5, HEQ5 or 6 - that will depend on budget later in the year. I know there may be weight/stability issues on the lower spec mounts.

Hi Al,

A 102 Mak is an excellent choice as a grab-n-go scope, and it will do a cracking job on lunar, planetary and solar targets. A scope like that with longer focal length is particularly well suited, as you get plenty of magnification to bring out detail on these bright targets. Double stars, globular clusters, and bright emission nebulae are also good targets.

Deep sky stuff wouldn't be nearly as nice - there you want lower mag, wider field views - something a little mak does not excel at.... but you have your dob for that.

These scopes are quite small and light - no more size or weight than say and 80 or 90mm short tube (f/5) guide scope. They would be no problem on most any decent EQ mount - even as a guide scope it should work well. Keep in mind that visual and photographic uses are different, and if you go into the photo route, you don't want to think about over loading a mount - but visual work is much more forgiving.

Hope that helps,

Dan

the 102 willl be a fine little grab and go ota and will fit on the heq5 or 6 no problem although why you would want to with a 150 or 200pds on it is beyond me. For grab and go moon and planets I would suggest the 102 on an alt az mount First Light Optics - Skywatcher AZ3 Alt-Az mount

this way you can look at something whilst imaging. no worries about polar aligning etc quick, portable and simple definition of grab and go

Ad Astra & rowan46, Thanks for the replies.

At the moment I don't have a scope, just a pair of (not very good) binoculars.

By the end of the year I should have 2 useful scopes that will hopefully complement each other and give me an opportunity to do both visual and some imaging.

A 102 Mak (or maybe a 127) sounds like it will do just fine for starters (visual) and starting with the 102 on a lighter mount for a few months wouldn't really be an issue.

Then later in the year I'll get the SW Explorer 150PDS (or 200PDS) on the sturdier EQ mount. I had considered piggy backing the 102 on the 150PDS, but as rowan46 says, why bother! (although the option would still be there)

As rowan says, I can use the 102 for some quick visual whilst doing some 'beginner' imaging on the 150PDS. Luckily my wife in also interested in stargazing, so keeping the 102 on a separate mount would be useful to keep us both busy whilst learning imaging and also good for a quick setup 'grab & go'.

I'm assuming the AZ3 is a bit sturdier than an EQ2. What would be the best option for a mount for the 102?

FLO do the 102 on and EQ2 mount for £255, or I could get the 201 OTA & AZ3 mount for a total of £263, so price isn't really the issue.

But as a quick grab & go for visual stuff, would a sturdier Alt-AZ mount be better that a lighter EQ mount. I understand the differences in the way the mounts work ....... but are there any real benefits to either, given how I intend to use the 102Mak.

Thanks again

Al

If you just intend visual and you don't want to bother with excess set up times alt az is the way to go. eq mounts are for imaging in my opinion, if you are not going to put a camera on it why bother with all those weights and polar aligning. It's one of the reasons Dobs are so popular for visual work

Thanks rowan,

I intend using the faster SW15PDS for imaging, I hadn't really considered using the 102 for imaging, not really sure how capable it is for that.

As I'll be getting the EQ5 mount eventually, that would be the mount I'd use for any imaging for either scope. So it sounds like a quick & easy AZ3 is the best option.

Cheers

Another Dumb Newbie Question: But I'd rather ask than get it wrong!

I might consider the 'Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak' over the Skymax 102 as my initial grab & go scope. FLO currently have it for £305 - The few ££ extra should be worth it if I end up with a (F11) 127 Mak & a (F5) 150 reflector

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak

The only real question I have is on the mount options.

In the future I will (should) end up with at least an EQ5 GOTO mount.

Can the 127 OTA be (easily) taken off this Alt-Az mount and used on an EQ5. I'm not sure how the OTA's attach to these single arm AZ mounts, it is directly compatible with the EQ5 or does it require some sort of adapter.

Thanks....

Hi

Personally I would consider getting some 10*50 bins as a starter and using the rest of the dosh towards a higher spec mount. Like the heq5 pro. The bins will always be handy and will give nice wide views and are REALLY grab and go.

Scope wise I don't think you'll be disappointed with a 200p, and would benefit from the more sturdier mount.

you should be able to change the ota no ptoblem, the reason I suggested the 102 over the 127 on the go to mount was because of cool down and set up times. yes the 127 is the better scope but the 102 on a manual alt az is more grab and go, It will also make a better guidescope than the 127 should you get into guiding

Thanks again for the replies.

@terrym2002uk: Thanks- When the time comes for the bigger scope (probably the SW150PDS) I will certianly be going for the best mount I can realistically get. That may be the HEQ5 or if I go for the 200PDS it might even be the EQ6.

Until then I'll be getting a scope, rather than another pair of bins (already have an older pair - so would rather have the scope than more bins). And a small Mak on a lighter mount will still be more stable than me holding bins.

@rowan46 Thanks again - I think I'll be going for the AZ mount for my 'grab & go', due to quicker setup etc.

I'll have a good think about the 102 or 127. Part of me likes the idea of the 127 (better scope etc), however the 102 does sound more practical ..... can't honestly say 'practical' will win :-)

Thanks again for the comments

Al

The only fly in the ointment that I can see is that a different choice of grab and go scope would double as a guide scope if/when you mant to get into imaging. The F12 Skymax wouldn't be good for that purpose. Too slow and risk of mirror movemnet induced flexure. On the other hand ST80 guide scopes are very cheap if you want one so in the scheme of things why worry?

Olly

@ollypenrice

Thanks, that's something worth thinking about, having checked I can see that (as you said) an ST80 is quite cheap if I ever needed one.

I think whatever scope I get now, will find a future use as a grab & go and also may keep either my wife or myself occupied whilst doing some imaging on another scope.

Looks like I just about have a plan together now!

Initially a F12 Mak (102 or 127) on AZ3 mount to be used as a manual grab & go. Then in about 6 months time an F5 SW150PDS (or 200) on sturdy EQ GOTO mount.

Add a couple of EP's, a 2x Barlow and a solar filter along with my existing Canon DLSR & suitable webcam and hopefully it should be decent enough as a starter kit. Obviously it won't cover every option, but should allow me to do some visual and take first steps into imaging, without breaking the bank!

Cheers

Al

• 3 weeks later...

I now have my first scope. Eventually I decided on the SW Skymax 127 on the Alt-Az GoTo mount.

In addition to the standard 10mm & 25mm EP's I have a light pollution filter, a Philips SPC880 webcam (flashed to SPC900) with IR filter. Also have the AstroZap Baader Solar Filter & Baader Solar Continuum Filter.

One thing I don't have yet is a Barlow lens yet, but will have one ordered within the next few days.

I'm looking at something like the Antares Deluxe 1.25" 2x (and 1.5x) Barlow as the 1.5x or 2x mag should give me some added flexibility.

Any thoughts or experience with this Barlow, or other EP's for lunar & planetary viewing. A Bahtinov Mask is quite tempting and not expensive, but want to get to grips with the scope setup before going much further.

I have also visited the Met Office website, but can't see anywhere I can order 'clear skies' and 'good seeing' conditions. :)

The intention is still to get another scope towards the end of the year or early next (SW Explorer 150 or 200PDS) and use this 127 as a grab & go. So eventually I'd like Barlow's and EP's that I can swap between scopes.

Cheers

Al

Congratulations on your new set-up.

Make sure you have a look at the post on the Synscan AZ alignment - a little preparation can ensure a good 1st night viewing.

My 102 came with a barlow as well as the two eye pieces - must be just the 127 that doesn't.

Wishing you clear skies soon :)

Paul

Thanks, I've already seen the Synscan AZ alignment post ...... Been doing lots of reading over the past month.

I think that whilst the skies are cloudy (raining heavily) I'll spend a bit of time reading up on how to use Stellarium to drive the mount.

Al

Archived