SKYWATCHER heritage 76 mini vs CELESTRON AstroMaster 76EQ

Im looking to buy a scope for my girlfriend whos starting to get interested herself in stargazing, out of these 2 models does anyone know what one would offer the best views out of the box? supplied EP quality comparison?.

I think the conviniance of the tabletop skywatcher would be great-but for an extra £20 the celesteron would seem to be more of a scope, altho im not sure how well the EQ mount suits a newbie.

Am i correct in thinking the celesteron would be better for planets and moon due to the extra focal length? I read it has an image corrector for land use as well, would this be a problem?.

Just had a quick look at those. The 76 mini is really cute, so portable. But even though

it is small and light, you still need something solid to stand it on, unless you

want to lay on the ground to view. A good patio table may be ok. It is more suitable

for low power wide views like the Pleiades.

The 76 EQ would be my choice of the two. Better for planets. Your girlfriend will

want to see Saturn for sure. An EQ mount can be confusing for beginners, but

you could be her guide ! The corrector for land use won't be a problem, it isn't

used at night, so can just be a daytime accessory.

Not sure which one has the best eyepieces.

HTH, Ed.

Hi Ed, thanks for the quick reply.

Im sure i read somewhere the celestron has a parabolic mirror and that would deffinatly clinch it, buti may be dreaming lol.

I would love to show her how too use the EQ mount, but tbh i dont know how too use it properly neither! :eek: we are in a long distance relationship on opposite ends of the country so this one is going too stay up at hers and be used by herself.

I was also edging towards the celestron so thats 2 for the 76EQ!

Oh dear, didn't realise you are a distance apart :eek:

Does she have an astronomy club nearby ? We sometimes

get newbies at my club asking for help. (as long as she doesn't

meet someone else there ;):( )

Regards, Ed.

Shes in liverpool but in a fairly non light poluted area, i think she might struggle getting to a astro-society and for the moment is just planning a bit of stargazing in the back garden and fields opposite her house.

Its quite a tough choice because the 76EQ might be that little bit harder to pick up and use and may not get used as much as the heritage, at the moment she has a pair of 7x50 bins.

The skywatcher 130p was my first idea and i think it would be absoluty ideal-but at twice the price of the 76EQ its above my price range.

I could wait longer and save for that instead though.

The skywatcher 130p was my first idea and i think it would be absoluty ideal-but at twice the price of the 76EQ its above my price range.

Working on a price of £109 on amazon for the celestron, astro buy and sell ad 43781 may be of interest ... Skywatcher 130 6 months old for £100.

Depending on its condition and being able to collect it (an excuse for a visit?:eek:), of course.

Thanks for that link DP, would deffinatly be worth a look! unfortunantly we just finished out last trip together yesterday and funds are to low for travling:(

The celestron is currently retailing for 69.99 in pc world/john lewis and currys ! seems like a bargin to me!.

Archived