NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heq5 Pro question.

It was nice and clear last night so I got my HEQ5 out to have a go at imaging Saturn. I've only had it for 2 or 3 weeks (bought second hand) and in all that time until last night it has been cloudy.

I have trouble seeing polaris due to tall trees to my North but amazingly I caught sight of it between the branches so did a quick align on it. I did a 2 star alignment, first on Arcturus which the mount missed by quite a bit. Centred on it then aligned on Spica which was just off the edge of my view. Centred on that then asked it to find Saturn. I expected it to go a bit to the right then up a bit as Spica is close to Saturn but OH NO. It decided to do a merry dance slewing right round and inverting the scope but Saturn was there in my view. Is this typical of the HEQ5? and can I expect more of the same?

It's known as a 'meridian flip', whereby the scope orientates itself differently whether it is to the east or west of the meridian. As you say, it is a bit disconcerting when you slew to an object which is nearby, but because it is on the other side of the meridian it has to flip over 180 degrees. I do find that, presumably due to slightly poor alignment, I usiually need to re-synch after a flip otherwise the alignment isn't accurate.

Archived