NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light Pollution Filter

Hi to all. While I have a reasonably dark back garden the spectre of dreaded light pollution is never far away. Can anyone recommend a good filter? Short of taking my scope out to a dark sky site this seems to be the only alternative at the mo.

Thanks

Are you imaging or visual? There is the fairly inexpensive Skywatcher LPF, there are also numerous narrow band nebular filters for that sort of target.

Heres a link for photographic use: http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/71126-skywatcher-lpr-filter-vs-baader-neodymium-filter.html

Also check this page for a description of different filters:

Astronomik -Visual filters-

There exist no magic bullet regarding light pollution though filters can help with contrast and in theory help faint fuzzies stand out a bit more. I have the Baader Neodymium 2" which I attach to the diagonal thus avoiding the need to transfer it it to each eyepiece I use. For me it makes a slight difference which I am willing to pay for and this particular brand does allow you to clean it without fear of damaging the coatings, I'm not so sure of other brands.

On the topic of filters, I would argue that OIII and UHC filters do make a more measureable difference when viewing appropriate objects, especially when you can view from darker skies.

Clear skies

James

Archived