Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with choosing first scope!

Dann

Hi guys

First off, I wanted to say thanks for all of the information provided on here the last month, I’ve learnt a lot.

After a month or so of reading up I think I’m in a better place in regards to what to look at for my first scope and what my aims and expectations are.

Being inspired by some of the great amateur photography on this forum and elsewhere I know astrophotography is an area I would like to get involved in and I’ve read through ‘Making Every Photon Count’ as recommended.

My budget doesn’t stretch as far as CCD cameras, guide scopes and all of that kind of thing but I would like to make sure my mount/scope etc is suitable so if a year or so from now I want to have a go at long exposure deep sky photography I wont have to replace too much equipment.

For now I’m sure ill have my hands plenty full with learning more of the sky and how to use my equipment.

The scopes I would like your opinions on are:

Celestron Advanced C6 N-GT - http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/celestron-advanced-c6-n-gt-with-free-dvd_d3704.html

Explorer 150P EQ3 Pro SynScan Mount - http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/explorer-150p-eq3-pro-synscan-mount-with-free-dvd_d3700.html

Explorer 150 PDS EQ3 Pro GOTO Mount - http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/explorer-150-pds-eq3-pro-goto-mount-with-free-dvd_d4773.html

I would like a mount with a GOTO capability, I know a little star hopping but I feel GOTO will help me get more out of the hobby sooner.

Saying something is an all rounder is never really the case but will f/5 scopes be suitable for planets as well as occasional DSO’s? I know a stable mount is very important for any kind of astrophotography, are the mounts above substantial enough for this kind of thing?

As the above only generally come with a single eye piece and being reflectors will all need culminating at some point are there any little gadgets or bits and pieces you would recommend I buy to help a beginner like me?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

Firstly, I think you might want to consider at least an EQ5 mount as opposed to the EQ3-2. If you can stretch to an EQ5 Pro (which has GOTO) all the better as you'll then have a pretty solid mount with tracking/GOTO capability should you venture down the AP path.

Secondly, I think a 150PL might be more useful. The longer focal length will make it better for planets than the 150P/150PDS and will be a bit more "forgiving" of lower-priced eyepieces. I'm also led to believe that collimation won't be quite as critical on an f/8 scope such as the 150PL compared to an f/5 scope like the 150P. You should still be reasonably OK for some DSOs

My own approach has been somewhat "back to front" in that I started last year by getting my Canon DSLR and tripod (some decent wide field images can be obtained with just this equipment). Then, in December, I got my first modern scope (the megrez 72) having used a 30+ year old refractor for general observation work. I now have an EQ5 Pro mount (though there's a problem with the SynScan which is being investigated). If I'd had the funds, I'd have probably gone for an HEQ5 instead, if only for the built-in motors/control circuitry (excluding the hand controller of course) and plan, eventually, to add a 150PL to my kit.

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for the advice, I had a quick look for the EQ5's on FLO's website and it seems the CG5 GT mount that’s part of the Celestron kit I linked is essentially the same as an EQ5 PRO, just by another name?

The CG5 is slightly more heavy duty than the EQ5, but apparently a lot more noisy. I've never used either but that is what I've learnt from the forum and other sources.

I'm a purely visual observer, so this is all based on what I've picked up from others. It appears to me that there's not really a single scope that suits all purposes. Also, the requirements for DSO imaging are different to those for planetary imaging.

A sturdy mount is essential for DSO imaging so the CG5/HEQ5 is definitely the way to go, for planetary imaging guiding is not essential so a lower spec mount will do.

The 150PL will be easier for visual and planetary imaging because of it's longer focal length, but this will make it difficult for DSO imaging because it will require more accurate guiding and longer exposure times.

If DSO imaging is a definite future requirement, I'd go for the 150PL on HEQ5 or similar mount and webcam for visual and planetary imaging right now, and add in a ED80 and DSLR when you're ready to start DSO imaging in the future.

I don't know the CG5 mount but always consider the HEQ5 the minimum AP mount. I'm always wary of claims that this or that is 'essentially the same' but I think a few members have used the CG5 for imaging. I wouldn't touch anything less, it won't work for anything but the most rudimentary short exposures and after a few of those I think you would lose interest. If you have a mount, camera and lens then you can start widefield AP and build up many of the skills needed in DS imaging.

On the imaging side you always want a fast f ratio and, to start with, a short focal length. The only way to get this cheaply along with aperture for visual observing is to go for a Newt like the 6 inch parabolic SkyWatcher.

A small apo makes imaging easier but is a limited visual tool. I would rule out SCTs and Maks as having too much focal length/not enough speed and I would stop short of an 8 inch Newt for imaging on a 5 series mount.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/

Archived