SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Well..., I've done it.......

Evening everyone,

Well after a couples of months research, mulling things over and decision making I've finally purchased a Skywatcher 200P and a HEQ5 Syntrek. Hopefully it will be delivered this week so I can get cracking. :-)

One question, I have a laptop which I'm planning on using to run the scope with but I noticed the iphone apps thread in this forum yesterday and am now enthused by the idea of running via my iphone. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Ed

I can't answer your question but just wanted to say I jealous of your telescope! I have just ordered my first one after a few months of indecision, couldn't stretch to what you have bought (although I would have loved to!) and so went for a skywatcher 150p eq3-2. It is arriving tomorrow!

So good luck with the new telescope, sure it will be great!

George

Congrats on the new scope. And you too George, I have the 150p and love it so I am sure the 200 will be great.

As for iPhone apps? What do you mean exactly by run the scope? Guiding? Photography?

Cheers

Thanks guys, I'm getting quite excited about getting going. I'm just hoping that the good weather we have had recently continues.

Regarding what I meant buy "running the scope" - I mean using the iphone in a similar manner to the synscan controller, i.e. select an object and then allow the scope to goto the object automatically.

I've seen there is a product developed by Southern Stars called skyFi which is basically a wifi to serial converter. I guess you plug the serial lead into the mount and the connect to it via your iphone, There is a non wifi version which just uses a physical cable to connect the two called skywire too.

I hope that clarifies a bit.

Cheers

Ed

Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure how I would connect a RS232 cable to the mount on the syntrek version of the HEQ5. On the Synscan you plug into the RJ11 connection on the synscan controller but i don't think there is an equivalent connection on the syntrek controller.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this one?

Ed

Archived