Mounting a dob on an eq5 or 6 or c5?

Ggeo

Just got myself a 10 inch revelation dob and bought skywatcher rings and dovetail thinking they should fit. Wrong.

Luckily Martin at flo took them back for a refund, prompt and very helpful, thanks. However he couldn't suggest an alternative solution. Has anyone out there done this and was it worthwhile? Anyone got a solution to the problem?

Thanks

For a 10" you would need the EQ-6 mount, assuming you can marry up the OTA with a set of rings and dovetail bar. You may get away with the HEQ5, but no way on a EQ5 mount

Thanks Malcolm, I've got the celestron advanced goto which I think is the same as the heq5 pro. Any idea where to get rings or will I have to make some up myself?

Thanks for the advice on the mount guys, I'll try it out first before investing in an EQ6 which I'm sure I'll need. Any ideas on tube rings?

• 4 weeks later...

The Revelation dobsonians are made by GSO which probably explains why their tube diameters don't quite match Skywatcher tube rings.

You might try Telescope Services in Germany - their own dobsonians are also made by GSO and a lot of their stock is of GSO origin:

Montierungen und Zubehör - Teleskop-Express: Astro-Shop + Fotografie + Naturbeobachtung

Did you have a problem getting the rings to fit the OTA? Check out this thread. http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/121437-skywatcher-mounting-rings-orion-xt10i.html

It is about various solutions (including mine) to the tube rings not being the right size for the 10" ota. I just about got away with using the 10" OTA on my HEQ5 mount for visual use.

IMO the celestron CG5 mount and EQ5 are the same.

I've read they're the same mount, though the CG5 has better bearings and stouter tripod legs (2" against 1.75"). I'd put my 8" OTA on a CG-5 but not a 10".

Thanks for the link to Telescop Services, I'd already checked them out bu their solution would end up costing as much as the scope itself, so not really an option,

Thanks anyway,

George

I had a problem getting the rings to fit, they are the wrong radius and to tight. I don't fancy spreading them out for fear of cracking them. The spacer idea is fine if the radius is right.,

Best,

George

I thought the CG5 was the equivalent to the HEQ5. It does indeed have the 2 inch steel legs. Nice bit of kit and I got the OTA effectively for free when I bought it when Celestron were having a special offer on the Advanced GT series,

Best,

George

Thanks for the link to Telescop Services, I'd already checked them out bu their solution would end up costing as much as the scope itself, so not really an option,

Thanks anyway,

George

This was what I was thinking of:

CR 303 - Aluminium Rohrschellen für Tuben D=303mm - TR 800

As they are manufactured for a 10" GSO dob I thought they would fit the Revelation 10 :D

Archived