Beginner with first scope.

I picked up my first scope today, the Skywatcher 200P Dobsonian, after reading nothing but good things about it.

Built it up with no probs and it feels really nice and solid whilst being easy to move around the sky.

Now this is my first ever scope and I am a total learner, but I couldn't wait to get it outside and have a play, however when I am lining up the finder scope on an object I cannot see it through the main eyepiece.

I'm probably trying to run before I can walk so any advice is very welcome.

Also, it's getting a bit cool outside, when I bring the scope in will it get condensation and should I put all caps on before I bring it in or afterwards .

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like your finder scope isn't aligned properly - esiest to do during the day - point scope at a static object -chimney, rooftop etc - which is as far away as practical - centre it in eye piece - THEN adjust finder scope so that the object is centred in that, then you're aligned.

As for condensation, when you bring scope in, it's best to leave caps off (I usually leave them off for the rest of night) and point the scope downwards, so any moisture will run off

HTH

Good luck

Hi Becchioo - it's best to set up the finder scope during the day time. Use the tip of a church spire or pylon 1-2 miles in the distance.

Center the object in the main tube using the 25mm eyepiece and adjust the finder so it too sees the same thing dead in the middle. Swop in the 10mm and repeat. Then it will be fine for night time use - you may want to tune further on a star but it will be a lot easier.

I store my dob with the tube slightly tilted down from horizontal when I have dew. This ensures any water will drip out of the tube and not onto the mirror where it will dry and smear.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks mate. That's what I was thinking about the finderscope. Really should have read the instructions properly but wanted to get it outside and play.

I'll probably take it inside and try lining it up tomorrow before dark and hope for a clear night :)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll have a go setting up the finderscope correctly tomorrow and will hopefully get some observing in.

I've already got Stellarium as I've been scanning around with bins for a while and thought it was time for the step up to a proper scope.

Telrads are very good - lots of dob users have them. Great combination used in conjunction with the finder and star maps. But set 'em both up in daylight. You may also be interested in a "Wixey" angle guage and a setting circle for the base - all for less than £30 and it makes pointing deadly accurate.

Join the dob users group and check that out in the "Dob Mods" thread. (click link in my signature). All the best :)

Hello Becchiooo, good choice of telescope ;)

Just one tip, it's a good idea to put your telescope outside to cool down to ambient temperature, before you start observing. Otherwise heat within the tube can affect your view.

I leave my 200P dob on my patio for an hour before I use it.

Clear skies :)

Hi,

When I first received my Telrad I attached it temporarily to the scope with two strips of masking tape, that way I could find where the most convenient position was.

As to aligning the Telrad I found that I couldn't see the target rings in broad daylight and aligned mine at dusk. Use a similar method to that used for your optical finder.

HTH

Good luck and enjoy.

Is it a rule that when you buy a scope it comes with a guarantee of clouds?

Oh Yes :D

if you do forget to line it up polaris is a good star to line up the finder with as it doesn't move much.

Is it a rule that when you buy a scope it comes with a guarantee of clouds?

Absolutely, why do you think January and February were so cloudy following BBC's Stargazing Live programme which prompted so many new scope purchases!!

Just been reading Warthogs sticky about eyepieces. Whilst not quite understanding it fully I think it recommends a 5mm, 10mm, 16mm and 25mm for an 8" Dob.

My scope came with a 25mm and a 10mm so will a 5mm and 16mm make a decent starter set (when funds allow :D )

Yes that will give you a good range, you may want a barlow as well, this doubles or trebles the magnification, bear in mind however magnification isn't everything.

I'm haveing the same problem, got a new scope this week and nothing but cloud!

Had a bit of clear sky and just had my first views of Saturn :D

Saw the rings and it was a lovely sight, but couldn't make out too much detail wise through the supplied 10mm. Still I'm delighted though at my first attempt.

As for the eyepieces I might see if the finances will stretch to another this month :p

A quick question about the Telrad. I just got it out of the box to see if it was working ok and I can't see the bullseye target reticule through the sight.

I took the top off and looked inside and could see the reticule there but not through the sight (this was when I was just hand holding it) will it appear when mounted on the scope ? Thanks.

Had a bit of clear sky and just had my first views of Saturn :p

Saw the rings and it was a lovely sight, but couldn't make out too much detail wise through the supplied 10mm. Still I'm delighted though at my first attempt.

As for the eyepieces I might see if the finances will stretch to another this month :(

Brilliant - Saturn is a stunner :D

Chances are the seeing wasn't good enough for the 10mm, which is the weaker of the two supplied EPs. It looks like you're about to enter the minefield which is 'what EP to buy' :o

Archived