Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie in need of help.

Hi guys,

First time on here but im sure i will be spending alot more time on here now i have found it.

Just after a bit of advice really, I have a celestron 114 which i purchased about a year ago and have used it a bit now and am happy with what it gives me. I have been thinking for a while though that I need to improve what I can see so have been thinking of getting a eyepiece set to give me more options, I have been looking at the celestron set which is roughly £150 many places online but am not sure if this would be the best thing or should I wait a bit and save more money to get a better scope?

any tips or advice would be great thanks

Jana.

Hi Jana and welcome to SGL :)

It's only my opinion but I was disappointed with this kit when I bought it. I found the 4mm and 6mm too small to use (the viewing lenses are tiny). The other plossls were single element - not multi as implied in the adverts. The 32mm though is a nice mutli element ep and very nice to use in my sct. The barlow I found to be inferior quality.

Can't comment on the filters cos I don't use them. The case is very good.

The Revelation set is cheaper - better quality - photo visual and good vfm.

But my best advice is try pick up a s/h Baader Hyperion Zoom (24mm-8mm). The Mk2 can be had around £100-£120. Five ep's in one - several steps up in quality - very clear and reflection free - and great all round ep. Better than any beginners kits imho.

Hope that helps ;)

thanks, thats graet already.

I normally just spend the cash and find out what its like later ( which i have regretted a few times )

i have decided to do my research this time though so will have a look into the Baader Hyperion Zoom. was not sure how good the zoom ep's are and also am going to check out the revelation set, any tips on where to go for it?

Hi jana,

For the ins 'n' outs of choosing EPs, you might find these posts : [thread=80772]"Eyepieces - the very least you need"[/thread] and [thread=63184]"Understanding and choosing eyepieces"[/thread] a help in guiding you through the basics.

HTH :)

cheers for the info guys,

given me some great advice there, defo think i will give the celestron kit a miss now in favour of the revelation kit ( although looking at the zzoms still )

well as soon as next months bonus comes in i will have to make my decision.

ep kit or zoom now that is the question. whats the benefits of each?

Archived