NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

solar scope

mason

Hi, i would like to get into solar observing, and was thinking of getting a 4" skywatcher startravel 102 achromatic scope with solar film over the dew shild.

Would this be a good scope to use and would it suffer from chromatic aberration not being an apro scope whilst using the solar film?

cheers.

mason

It's a good combination that I've used myself (Celestron 102 but same scope) and CA is not a problem with white light solar observing anyway. You could argue that even though you won't see any CA the achro lens wouldn't be as sharp as an APO but in the real world any difference is marginal at best.

The only real limitation of the 102 however is the focuser. It's usable but a replacement dual speed crayford is so much nicer to use.

John

Cheers john, also, would you be able to get the whole image in or would you need a reducer with this scope?

mason

I only used it for visual but the whole disk could be seen with the right eyepiece. A Nagler would be nice but one of the TMB clone eyepieces also works well. I'm not sure about imaging with the scope though.

Here's a pic of my old 102 with a WO crayford.

John

thanks again john,

I do paln on putting my dfk imaging camera to it and hoping to get the whole image in shot.

You have answered my question tho about the scope, so thanks, i shall buy one.

mason.

Archived