NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Power Supply Help

Hi all, I'm nearing my 1st telescope (when it arrives), but I've ordered the " SynScan PRO GOTO upgrade For the EQ5"...but its says "power requirement" (11 To 15 V DC 2 AMP Tip Positive)...I've no idea what this is, Can someone post a link please to show me what it is and where I can buy one...Don't wanna set all my kit up to find I have no power to use it ???

Many thanks

Chris

Do you want mains Or "portable" power?

Powertanks will allow you to use thew scoep away for a mains supply...

http://firstlightoptics.com/products.php?cat=65

There are also the cheaper "Maplin" alternatives...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?c=so&u=strat305&forcelayout=list&criteria=_jump_starter_

If you are going to use a standard mains power supply outside make sure its powered from a RCCD proteced supply and the power supply is proteced from the damp ground and Dew...

http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html#accPSU

You can get fully protected PSU's that are designed for outdoor CCTV use...

Billy...

Off to find links...

Well It'll be 99.9% used on the back patio, and we do have a power supply just inside the patio doors, But I suppose I could get a power pack so the scope is portable so I can walk up the garden if I wanna use the scope at the top of the garden...?

Power

jump starter : Maplin Electronics_

If you are going to use a standard mains power supply outside make sure its powered from a RCCD proteced supply and the power supply is proteced from the damp ground and Dew...

Accessories @ Modern Astronomy

Billy...

Off to find links...

Thanks for your help Billy )

No Worries... Clear Skies... :D

Rememebr with the supplied chargers some of the portable units (maplin) can take 50 hours to fully charge.. and they should be recharged straight after use and every few weeks if they arent used...

Billy...

Power

Billy...

Off to find links...

Ok Billy cheers, So the one from "modern astonomy" above, just plugs stright into the wall and then into my GOTO ????

Sorry for being thick

I use the "Maplin option" :D At least for the time being. A jump starter is also useful if you have a car :) It has a light too and pumps up tyres.

Power

Billy...

Off to find links...

Cheers Billy, I've looked at the pic, but can't see a "cigarette lighter" type socket, FLO advised me this is what I need ????

hi o/p 11v - 15v dc tip positive. means your kit will run on DIRECT CURRENT (batteries) from a range of 11 volts up to a maximum of 15 volts. the tip positive means the power cord you insert to the power point of your scope will look like or be simmilar to that af a nockia phone battery charger. the tip will be classed as positive and the shell will be classed negative. systems that run on DC may be voltage and polarity sensitive, which means to work any micro chips within your controller, positive (+) has to be positive, and negative ( - ) has to be negative, or the scope will either not work, or you may blow all your micro chips within the hand controller. thats why they state tip positive.........from own expirience.

Archived