Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is f/3.7 workable with a Newt?

Just been looking at E-bay (as you do) and noticed some Phenix Newts on there. The 200mm f/3.7 one caught my eye, as it's got a parabolic mirror, and (allegedly 1/10th wave) is rather fast. This is a good thing for imaging, but it's by far the fastest Newt. I've ever come across. Would it work well, theoretically I mean initially, or is it likely to have "issues" for imaging?

Just out of interest you understand.

Captain Chaos

Thanks for the input Phyllis, it's nice to get info from somebody who knows their stuff. I'm not buying one of these (yet), it just intrigued me that such a fast Newt. was out there in the marketplace. It could be the next big thing, or it could be plagued by coma all over the FOV. I suppose I'll have to wait until somebody grabs one and reviews it.

Captain Chaos

I think the reason schmit newts (at f/4) have corrector plates is to reduce the stress on the mirror maker. The amount of coma these things show might not make it worth it, even with a paracor. I would look at the meade SN's instead, as at least they have some sort of built in correction. Oh and not to put to fine a point on it Phenix stuff in my mind is right up there with seben...

Sorry Gaz, didn't mean to imply that you don't know your stuff. Should have been more careful.

Gordon, I know what you mean and wasn't going to buy one.

I was just interested as I've read that some eyepieces struggle to perform in a fast (f/4 to f/6) Newt. What happens at f/3.7 is what interested me, especially when you add a focal reducer.

Captain Chaos

Archived