NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binos+slightly darker skies= I am in LOVE

I bought a pair of Bresser 10x50 out of Ebay few weeks ago and did not really have the chance to look up and make interesting finds in my London sky...

but I arrived at my mum's yesterday and I fell in love again with the sky!

Here (some remote village in France) the nights are so much darker; you look up and you already see thousands of stars!!!

We started the evening with the observation of the ISS at dusk; my mum was so excited!!!

Couple of hours later, I took the binos and look up at random.... OMG so many starts there!!!! I definitely found a very nice cluster, visible but not "resolvable" with the naked eye. Gonna try to find out what it was. It was plain West at 23.00GMT, probably 45° from the horizon... any ideas?

(and now I am seriously thinking of relocating under darker skies :) )

Yeah, a dark site and clear skies make all the difference. I had a great time earlier in year when I went skiing and took my modest 8x40s plus a starmap. Night was so clear compared to many seen there before. I wished I had taken my portable scope stuff.

Archived