Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First photo question.

star_gazer

Hi all.

As it is such a lovely evening i decided to take the camera in the garden and give astrophotography a try, i have a few shots and would just like to know what a few things are.

In the pics there are a few blue and red dots, are these stars?

Sorry for the basic questions but this is my first go with the camera

Also i'm amazed at what the camera can capture, when i look up at the sky i can see a few stars, the camera has caught loads :)

pics not that good, couldn't upload a larger one.

Thanks.

p1011059q.jpg

Hi star_gazer,

The streaks are stars. The red and blue dots are just "noise" - pixels of your camera's CCD jittering, sending signals that don't represent anything they're detecting.

Also, you'll probably find that the pink glow top left is a plume caused by a heat source in your camera. My D70 used to do the same thing, with a pink glow along the left side of the image. I soon realised this was probably caused by the battery, down the right side of the camera (the image on the sensor is rotated 180 degrees, remember, so a plume to the top-left indicates something warm bottom-right in your camera).

Archived